Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pagger29
Channel Surfer

No sound (except from Roku streambar) when hdmi-cec on

Jump to solution

I have an older samsung TV with no hdmi-arc (so the spid output from the tv goes to the Roku via a seperate cable), but with hdmi-cec.  If I am using the Roku only it's fine.  However when I switch to a Freesat Humax receiver (or a dvd player) there is no sound via the Roku or the TV.

To get things to work I have to disable hdmi-cec (or physically unplug the Roku)

I bought it on the expectation of a single remote.  Is there anything I can do? I bought the Roku to fill in the fact there's no smart features on the tv usable In 2022 as most went out of date in 2019.  I might as well return the Roku and put the money towards a new TV at this rate

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No sound (except from Roku streambar) when hdmi-cec on

Jump to solution

@Pagger29 

Ah. That should be working. I don't think there are any settings on the Streambar itself, because it should be acting simply as a soundbar in that configuration. Your TV should be directing audio output to the sound bar (Streambar) if you have it configured that way. So, check your TV sound settings. Treat the Roku Streambar as any other sound bar for this.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Pagger29 

This may be helpful for your situation: Streambar usable without HDMI-ARC or optical ports?

Essentially, without ARC you'll need to use an optical port to feed the standard TV sound through the Streambar, making it a traditional soundbar when Roku is not in use.

As for the remote, all Roku Voice Remotes (what you have) are designed to control the Roku and the power & volume of the TV, nothing more.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Pagger29
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  However there appears to be no optical out from the tv (despite it having the port, the cable being plugged in, and it enabled on the TV)

The TV has a single optical in, but this isn't connected and would only potentially help from one source

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Pagger29 

You sure that's an optical audio in on the TV? I would expect it to be an out. What's the TV model number?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Pagger29
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The TV has an optical in, and an optical out.  The optical in is a different connector type to the out (which fits the cable on the Roku)

TV is Samsung UE37EH5300

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Pagger29 

I'm not doubting what you're seeing on the actual device, but I will mention that Samsung's Website indicates there are multiple optical in and out ports.

• PC Audio In (mini jack)
  • PC/DVI Audio in
  • Digital Audio out (optical)
  • Audio out (mini)

From what I'm reading online (Samsung's Website), the optical port on that model Samsung TV is an out, not an in.

See page 10 of this manual (third party). Is this not how yours looks?

Have you actually tried connecting the optical cable between the Roku Streambar and the Samsung TV?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Pagger29
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes.  With the cable plugged in (TV optical out to Roku optical in) I get sound from the Roku, but nothing via the Humax Freesat, Dvd, Xbox etc..

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Pagger29 

Ah. That should be working. I don't think there are any settings on the Streambar itself, because it should be acting simply as a soundbar in that configuration. Your TV should be directing audio output to the sound bar (Streambar) if you have it configured that way. So, check your TV sound settings. Treat the Roku Streambar as any other sound bar for this.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Pagger29
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Its back in the box and off to Argos then!  Bit of a shame as I thought it had some promise as a product

I have no idea if the digital out works on the TV (though the optical cable is lit), the cable or the box is at fault here

0 Kudos