Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morgothaod
Level 7

No signal then wait screen and then it works

I have a Roku 2 XS hooked up to a Sony Bravia LCD TV and I keep my Roku plugged in and connected to my TV.  When I turn on my TV and switch it to the Roku input,  It'll say (Input Roku) and No signal.  So I hit the home button on the Roku remote and after a minute I'll get a screen that says ROKU with the "k" doing a "foot tapping motion."  Again, I'll hit the home button and after 30 seconds to a minute, Roku loads and I see all my channels.  Is that normal?  Also, when I'm doing watching Roku, I hit the home button on my remote and turn my TV off.  Is that the proper way to exit it?  Thanks. 
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: No signal then wait screen and then it works

"morgothaod" wrote:
I have a Roku 2 XS hooked up to a Sony Bravia LCD TV and I keep my Roku plugged in and connected to my TV.  When I turn on my TV and switch it to the Roku input,  It'll say (Input Roku) and No signal.  So I hit the home button on the Roku remote and after a minute I'll get a screen that says ROKU with the "k" doing a "foot tapping motion."  Again, I'll hit the home button and after 30 seconds to a minute, Roku loads and I see all my channels.  Is that normal? 

Also, when I'm doing watching Roku, I hit the home button on my remote and turn my TV off.  Is that the proper way to exit it?  Thanks. 

That is not normal Roku behavior. That’s the reboot screen. It should not be doing that.

Your exit process is fine.

Is your Roku plugged into a power strip? Some power strips have indicators for a primart device, and when the power strip detects the primary is off, cuts power to the others. That would explain the Roku boot up screen.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
morgothaod
Level 7

My Roku and TV are both plugged in this surge protector
0 Kudos

Can you plug the Roku directly into the wall or into some other power strip to see if it exhibits the same behavior? This will tell us if it's the Roku or the power strip that is acting flaky.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"morgothaod" wrote:

When you turn the TV on, how do you turn it on- with the TV's remote, or some other method?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"morgothaod" wrote:

One of its features is something called “auto shutdown.” That could be the feature I’m referring.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
morgothaod
Level 7

I turn the TV on with the TV remote.  I went ahead and plugged the Roku into the wall.  When I turned on the TV (The input was already on Roku),  I immediately got the Roku screen with the tapping K.  Then after hitting the home button about a minute later, I got the channel screen.  While I was waiting for Roku screen with the tapping k to go away, I noticed the white light on my Roku kept blinking (I only hit the home button on the Roku 1 time).  I'll watch TV on the Roku and do my normal routine and then see if it loads faster tomorrow.  Maybe the Roku kept blinking because I turned it off and then back on.
0 Kudos
morgothaod
Level 7

I tried the Roku again and had the same problem even with it not plugged in the surge protector.  No signal--> roku screen tapping "k"--> Then channels show up
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"morgothaod" wrote:
I turn the TV on with the TV remote.  I went ahead and plugged the Roku into the wall.  When I turned on the TV (The input was already on Roku),  I immediately got the Roku screen with the tapping K.

I could be wrong, but I think there's an important point you haven't quite grasped or accepted: that menu that you call the "tapping K" is the Roku booting up. That means it either was just plugged in or power otherwise restored to the device, or it went through a reboot cycle.

The "tapping K" is normal if you are expecting it to boot up. What you just described was your plugging the Roku in. You should expect to see the boot up screen. You did. That's normal.
"morgothaod" wrote:
Then after hitting the home button about a minute later, I got the channel screen.

That is what is called a coincidence. The Roku 2 XS, as previously stated, is an old device. The older devices take longer to boot up. Pressing any buttons during the boot up process doesn't do anything. Once the Roku has completed the boot up process, you'll get the home screen.

If you press a button during the boot up process, when the boot up process is done, you'll get the home screen.

If you do not press a button during the boot up process, when the boot up process is done, you'll get the home screen.

You see the difference? There is none. When the Roku is done booting, you'll get the home screen.
"morgothaod" wrote:
While I was waiting for Roku screen with the tapping k to go away, I noticed the white light on my Roku kept blinking (I only hit the home button on the Roku 1 time).

That light will blink when it's sending and/or receiving network activity, for example, during boot up. This is normal behavior.
"morgothaod" wrote:
I'll watch TV on the Roku and do my normal routine and then see if it loads faster tomorrow.  Maybe the Roku kept blinking because I turned it off and then back on.

Yes, that's part of the boot up process.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"morgothaod" wrote:
I tried the Roku again and had the same problem even with it not plugged in the surge protector.  No signal--> roku screen tapping "k"--> Then channels show up

Just to be clear, was the Roku plugged into the wall outlet directly the entire time? Are you leaving the Roku plugged in all the time?

I ask because the behavior you're describing is normal if you have just applied power, either via switch or physically plugging it in. What you are describing -- a "no signal" message from your TV, then the Roku boot up screen (what you call "tapping K"), then the home screen -- is normal if you are plugging it in or otherwise restoring power to the device. If the Roku is fully powered the entire time, that is nor normal behavior.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos