Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dyldyl17
Level 7

No picture on TV after update on set up

I just got a Roku for one of the rooms of my house. The Roku will do just fine up setting up until it downloads the latest update. After the update, the Roku restarts and shows the Roku bootup screen, then immeidately cuts out, and the picture never comes back. I've tried this with 3 HDMI cables and 2 TVs and still having the same problem.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: No picture on TV after update on set up

If you are getting the boot screen then it is unlikely to be the HDMI cables that are causing the issue.

Try factory resetting the Roku.  It might be that the Roku is attempting to issue a 1080 picture to a TV only capable of 720.

If you could give what model of Roku and what manufacturer and models of TVs you have then the feedback you can get from the forum should be greatly improved.

0 Kudos
dyldyl17
Level 7

Well I can't factory reset it because I'm on the setup part, so that wouldn't work
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"dyldyl17" wrote:
Well I can't factory reset it because I'm on the setup part, so that wouldn't work

There's a button on the Roku that allows you to do a factory reset.. unplug, plug back in, and hold that reset button down for 20+ seconds.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dyldyl17
Level 7

Did that, still having the same issue. I think it has something to do with the Roku itself because I’ve tried both a 1080p and 720p TV and the problem continues
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dyldyl17

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're seeing. If you can, try plugging the device into a different TV to see if you experience the same issue. If the display comes back, try changing the option in Settings>Display type from 'Auto' to something manual, such as 720p or 1080p, and then plug the device back into the original TV to see if this restores video output. 

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku player from the bottom/back of the device, the specific make/model of TV and/or A/V receiver that the player is connected to when it experiences the problem. I'll help investigate this further and see what else we can recommend. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos