Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Filius
Level 7

No picture - error message "Not Support!"

I am using a Roku Streaming Stick+ with a Vizio TV model no. VOJ320F1A. I tried searching the forums, and the rest of the Internet as well, but could not find a solution for my issue. What happened is this: 

I bought the Roku in December 2018, plugged it in and set it up, and it worked fine. I used it a few more times over the next week or so. Then I didn't use it for 3-4 weeks, and when I turned it on last night I got no picture. I made sure all the cables were plugged in snugly. I tried it in all the HDMI ports. I tried another device in the HDMI ports to make sure they were working; they were. 

Next I plugged the Roku into another TV, and it worked with no issues. 

At this point I searched the forums and found someone who said the order in which you turn on your TV and the Roku can make a difference. They said you should turn on the TV first, before powering on the Roku. I did this, and I got the "ROKU" splash screen with the bouncing letters -- followed by a black screen, and then a blue screen with the words "Not Support!" Some people suggested that when you get this message, you should try setting the Roku to 720p. But my TV is a full 1080p device, and I had the Roku set to automatically detect the resolution, so shouldn't be any issue with 720p vs. 1080p settings. 

Someone else suggested a hard reset, which I did by pressing the Reset button and holding it down until it re-booted, in other words, the "ROKU" splash screen appeared again on the screen. But again this was followed by the black screen and the "Not Support!" message. 

Very frustrated, I called Roku support this morning. To their credit they answered pretty fast and spent a lot of time trying to figure out the problem. But in the end they punted: They said it has to be my TV, since the Roku works on the other TV. So please contact the manufacturer of your TV to see if it's compatible with Roku and whether it needs a software update. Well, the TV is at least 8 years old, it's not likely Vizio is still supporting it in any way whatsoever. But in any event, nothing has changed on the TV since the day I installed the Roku. Why did it work then and it doesn't work now? 

If my TV was in any way incompatible, the Roku should have detected it when I first installed it. Then I could have returned it to Best Buy for a refund. But when I first installed it it worked fine, so I had no reason to believe my TV was incompatible. Now that it's not working any more, it's too late to return it to the store (they have a 15-day return policy). 

Roku said they would send me a new stick (once I return the old one), but that's all they can do under the terms of the warranty. In other words if I have the same problem with the new one, I'm screwed. They get to keep my money and I'm stuck with a product that doesn't work. 

But here's the situation in a nutshell:  The Roku worked on my TV when I set it up back in December. The TV hasn't changed, it's still fully functional in every way. The only thing that has changed since the last time it worked is that, in all likelihood, there have been software updates to the Roku. So it's got to be a software update that has rendered it inoperable with my TV. 

I'm just putting this out there in the hope that some Roku tech will notice it and put in a report to someone involved in software updates. I can't be the only one who is having this problem. But if anyone has any other suggestions for fixing the issue, I'm all ears. 

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any suggestions. 
0 Kudos
7 Replies
GoldenWye
Level 7

Re: No picture - error message "Not Support!"

Thank you for posting this message. I am in the exact same situation as you including the same TV model. I have done all the same, logical things to try and fix the issue with no luck. I also spoke with someone at customer support and the ultimate conclusion was that I need to contact my tv manufacturer...but this is not the problem.

The problem has to do with the firmware update that was pushed out earlier this week which is causing issues with the “handshake” between our tv and the Roku. I have seen a few others post similar problems with different tv models, so hopefully Roku will release a software patch to correct the issue.

I have isolated the problem to the firmware because I went out to the store yesterday and picked up a new Roku Stick (non +) version to see if that was the problem. Sure enough it worked fine during initial set up, until the Stick went onto the Roku servers looking for the latest software. It force downloaded the new software and then moments later did the same thing where the Roku letters danced followed up with a blank screen, some audio crackling, followed with a blue screen and not supported message from my TV.

So there you go. It’s definitely a firmware problem and definitely frustrating. Hopefully they will respond with some other solution or correct the issue with a software patch.
0 Kudos
Filius
Level 7

Perfect! Good idea trying a new one to isolate the problem. God bless the support people, but they seem to be trained to try 1, 2 and 3, and if those don't work then it's your problem. You would think they would also take firmware updates into account when trying to diagnose customer complaints. 

By the way I also got the audio crackling you mentioned, during the black screen phase, so we seem to be having exactly the same experience. 

If Roku would fix the firmware it would save them having to ship me a new device, since I'm sure it's not going to help. But then we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that future updates don't screw things up again. 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. What are the exact make/model of TV you're experiencing this issue with? 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Filius
Level 7

I just wanted to say that although Tanner kindly offered to help, he didn't suggest anything that the phone support people hadn't already asked me to try, and nothing he suggested did anything to solve the problem. I'm currently still stuck with a dead Roku. I'm going to take them up on their offer to mail them my dead Roku -- AT MY EXPENSE!!! -- and have them send me a new one, although I have no reason to think the new one will work any better until such time as they fix their faulty firmware. 
0 Kudos
Filius
Level 7

In my last post I said I was going to take Roku up on their offer to ship them my Roku stick (AT MY EXPENSE) in exchange for a new one, but I never actually did it, because I was sure the problem was the firmware, not the stick. 

Well, today after not using it for a couple of weeks (because, you know, IT DOESN'T WORK), I decided to see if there had been any further firmware updates. I hooked it up to my son's TV and turned it on, and saw that there had been a firmware update on February 21. So I disconnected it, and hooked it up to the TV in my room -- the one that it hasn't been working on all this time -- and suddenly it works! 

There's absolutely no doubt now, that the problem all along was the last firmware update. The new update has fixed whatever was causing the problem. I haven't changed anything on my TV, the only change was the firmware update. 

I'm so glad I didn't waste money shipping the stick to Roku when the problem all along was the firmware! We can only hope that in the future they will look at the firmware FIRST, and not make us customers jump through hoops trying to get it to work, on the assumption that the problem must be on our end! 
[/font]
0 Kudos
Swansonwifey
Level 7

I've started getting a resolution not supported on my roku also. It will work fine with hulu and then I try to switch to Netflix and it shuts done with that message. It will also cut out sometimes. It looks like flashes of color or no sound. I would think it was my tv but it only happens when using the roku
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

@Swansonwifey wrote:
I've started getting a resolution not supported on my roku also. It will work fine with hulu and then I try to switch to Netflix and it shuts done with that message. It will also cut out sometimes. It looks like flashes of color or no sound. I would think it was my tv but it only happens when using the roku

What model Roku do you have? The older devices are beginning to become unsupported, and channel support isn't available any longer. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos