Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abjr
Level 7

No output on Premiere+ after software 8.0.0 update

Last night my Premiere+ (Model 4630X) was updated to Software Version 8.0.0 build 4073-29. After this update, there is no longer any output from the Roku to the TV (an old Toshiba 42HP95). If I power cycle the Roku I do get the Roku splash screen and then a few seconds later the screen just goes black. It then flickers every few seconds. It's almost as if the Roku can no longer negotiate a resolution with the TV.

I also have a 2XS (Model 3100X running 7.7.0 build 4135-02). I hooked this one back up to the Toshiba and it works fine. I also hooked the Premiere+ up to a secondary TV (a Funai $99 Black Friday Walmart Special) and it works fine there.

I'm left with the impression that the 8.0.0 update has broken something. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue after the update? 

Is there any type of debugging information I can look at or provide?

-abjr
0 Kudos
19 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: No output on Premiere+ after software 8.0.0 update

Make sure you don't have it set to 1080p or 4K. Your TV doesn't handle anything beyond 720p.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
abjr
Level 7

If I can't get a display, how can I change the settings? (A bit of a rehtorical question, obviously, I can luckily use a secondary TV). 

It was always set to 1080i. Are you suggesting the update changed my resolution settings?

-abjr
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

One way you can tell if the Roku is still working but blank display is by hitting the home button.. If you hear the familiar "bonk" noise, it is probably a resolution issue..

Best bet is to do a factory reset via the reset button (near the power port).. Hold it for 30 seconds after pulling the cord out and plugging it back in. Him have to set up your channels again, but at least you'll know right away if your Roku is bricked or not.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
abjr
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
but at least you'll know right away if your Roku is bricked or not.

As I mentioned, it works fine with another TV. The Toshiba is reporting a mode of 480i when the screen goes blank. Not sure why the Roku can't negotiate 720p.
How can I downgrade back to 7.7.0? If it's not possible it's getting returned. Thanks.
-abjr
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

1080i is not 1080p. Your TV specs say 720p is max. Take it to other TV and set it to 720p.

Home:5, FF:3, RW:2 will get you to secret update screen, might be able to roll it back from there.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
abjr
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
1080i is not 1080p. Your TV specs say 720p is max. Take it to other TV and set it to 720p.

Home:5, FF:3, RW:2 will get you to secret update screen, might be able to roll it back from there.

Thank you! Rolled it back to 7.7.0 Build 4154-29 and guess what? It works! How do I file a bug report?
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

720P will look better than 1080i (I said i as in interlaced. Since P is progressive.)

Set the Roku to 720P you'll have less issues and better image.

I didn't even know 1080p could be transferred to 1080i.... I mean you usually have to set it 1080i in like Blu-Ray player settings.... Sounds like some sort of fluke? That maybe 8.0 fixed? Heh.

This sounds exactly what would happen when you force a progressive signal on an interlaced TV.... Or in this case 720 being the only progressive signal.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"abjr" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:

Thank you! Rolled it back to 7.7.0 Build 4154-29 and guess what? It works! How do I file a bug report?

Now that you know you can revert it, why not let it update to 8.0, take it to the secondary set and explicitly set it for 720p? Then, reattach it to the problematic TV. That's the test I would do.
0 Kudos
abjr
Level 7

"abjr" wrote:
It was always set to 1080i. 

Sorry. I misspoke here. The TV is always 1080i from my cable box. When I switch the input to the Roku(s) it switches to 720p.

With the 8.0 software, when the Premiere+ is on the Roku splash screen the TV reports 720p (there's an on screen message from the TV when the resolution changes). The screen then goes blank and the TV reports 480i at that point and i get no video. If I hit the Netflix button and OK a few times something will play and I do get sound.

With my 2XS on 7.7 and the Premiere+ now back on 7.7, it stays 720p the entire time and everything is working as it should. 

-abjr
0 Kudos