Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No audio

Jump to solution

I have read  all I can find on this topic, and so far no success. I previously had a Roku 2 Sx,  which ran video through an HDMI connection and a audio through RCA connections into my receiver. I just tried to install a new Roku express, which only has the HDMI connection, and I’m not getting any audio at all.  The TV does have speakers, and I’ve disconnected everything related to the old Roku. The TV is a Samsung HDMI receiver. I have gone into settings and changed everything I could find under audio.

I have gone into settings and changed everything I could find under audio.

Any advice In as simple English as possible? I am elderly and not all that adept with the vocabulary.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No audio

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I finally called Samsung support, and after trying a few things, had me reset the monitor. Voila! Got audio.

I must hand it to Samsung support, because they were willing to spend time troubleshooting a waaaay out of warranty  item.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

I assume that you get no audio from your receiver nor your tv. That hdmi cable can pass audio and video, but now your receiver is out of the loop. Is it old, meaning no hdmi inputs? Ideally you would run the roku hdmi to your receiver, then output your video to your tv. If the receiver doesn't have hdmi ports, then look to see if your tv has audio out port that can be run to the appropriate input on the receiver.

As to why no audio at tv now, you may have to explore your tv settings. One possibility is that internal tv speakers are turned off. Another is that a roku setting is passing an audio stream to the tv that it can't handle. You have have to look at your roku audio options and try your other choices.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I finally called Samsung support, and after trying a few things, had me reset the monitor. Voila! Got audio.

I must hand it to Samsung support, because they were willing to spend time troubleshooting a waaaay out of warranty  item.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Express No audio

Jump to solution

I hav a 3900X-Express that I am having audio problems with. It started a few months ago. In the middle of a show the audio would just stop. I'd have to hit the home button and then restart the app to get it working again. It started to happen more and more often and was annoying. Now to get the audio back I have to reset the system. I've had to reset my system several times this past week and twice today. Now it just frustrating! My device is hooked straight to my Samsung tv with the hdmi cable. I have tried switching the tvs source when the audio is not working and i have sound with everything else, but when I return to the roku still no sound until I reset the unit. I've checked and rechecked settings everywhere I can. I even unplugged the unit from everything including power for at least 8 hours while I was gone and still have the same problem. When I check for updates I receive the message that it has the latest software. The unit is maybe a year old now, I'm thinking it might be a dud. Lol. Please help. I'm already bald and have no hair to pull out! Lol. Thanks

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Express No audio

Jump to solution

@JBCIII 

Thanks for the note.

Have your tried plugging the device into another HDMI port on your TV? Have you also tried using another HDMI cable?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I have tried a different hdmi cable, and it still did the same thing. I tried a different hdmi port after your recommendation and I still have the problem. I also watched a blu-ray with it plugged into the port I originally had the roku plugged into and did not have a problem with the audio. Thanks for the ideas. I think it's a problem with the player itself. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, same Roku express modol, plugged directly to the via HDMI.

Works fine for a while, then audio cuts out.

Comes back after resetting rohu unit🤪

0 Kudos