Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sawood
Level 7

No audio when TV is turned on, have to restart Roku

Hello, new to the forums but have been a Roku user for over 8 years. I did post a reply to an existing long thread but not sure that would get seen.

I have a brand new Roku Express. I am connected to a Logik TV (budget brand). I am running 8.1.0 build 4590-51.

Every time I wake the TV from standby I have to restart the Roku to regain audio. This is pretty useless and unacceptable. I believe it is an HDCP issue because the Amazon Prime video channel briefly flashes up an HDCP error if that is playing at the time. All other apps, and the homescreen, are responsive but with no audio.

I have a Roku LT also running 8.1.0 over HDMI and this has no similar issue on the same TV. Why should I have to use an 8+ year old product instead of my brand new device running the same software?

Have tried forcing Audio settings to Stereo, disabling 1-touch player etc. What else can I do?

I would appreciate any advice on how to resolve please. Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: No audio when TV is turned on, have to restart Roku

"sawood" wrote:
Hello, new to the forums but have been a Roku user for over 8 years. I did post a reply to an existing long thread but not sure that would get seen.

I have a brand new Roku Express. I am connected to a Logik TV (budget brand). I am running 8.1.0 build 4590-51.

Every time I wake the TV from standby I have to restart the Roku to regain audio. This is pretty useless and unacceptable. I believe it is an HDCP issue because the Amazon Prime video channel briefly flashes up an HDCP error if that is playing at the time. All other apps, and the homescreen, are responsive but with no audio.

I have a Roku LT also running 8.1.0 over HDMI and this has no similar issue on the same TV. Why should I have to use an 8+ year old product instead of my brand new device running the same software?

Have tried forcing Audio settings to Stereo, disabling 1-touch player etc. What else can I do?

I would appreciate any advice on how to resolve please. Thank you.

Got a question. Are you using the same HDMI cable you used with the Roku LT? If not, try that. Don't know if it would be easier to unplug the LT and Express (different power supplies) and swap the boxes, or swap the HDMI cables from the TV. Either way, be sure the RV and Roku are unplugged before removing any cables.

Got another question. Are you leaving your Roku in the Amazon app? Are you not exiting to the Home screen (Home button) when you are done with watching Roku content? If you aren't exiting to the Home screen, do that.

And, another question. How long? That is, after your Roku goes to sleep and your TV goes to sleep (you apparently aren't turning it off if I read things correctly), how long before the issue occurs? Right after the device goes to sleep? Not until hours later? That might provide a clue as to what's actually happening.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
sawood
Level 7

Thanks for your response.

1. I tried the short HDMI cable bundled with the Streaming Stick on both devices. The LT never has the issue, the Stick does. I have also tried another cable with both devices, same result.

2. I have tried both exiting the app and returning to the homescreen, or staying in an app. Issue persists.

3. As soon as I switch the TV to standby and resume from standby immediately or longer, there is no audio every time.

Sawood
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

I'm guessing all you need to do is force another HDMI handshake between the TV and Roku. What happens if you switch the TV to a different input and back?
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"sawood" wrote:
1. I tried the short HDMI cable bundled with the Streaming Stick on both devices. The LT never has the issue, the Stick does. I have also tried another cable with both devices, same result.

This confuses me. You never mentioned a Stick. You mentioned an Express and an older LT.

I have a Stick (previous model) and it didn't come with an HDMI cable. It's a hard stick with an HDMI connector on the end. The current Stick looks that way, too. So, exactly what HDMI cable are you talking about? Roku does offer an extension for the Stick, but it's a Male-Female extender cable, nothing more. You can't use it by itself to connect an Express to a TV. You can only extent an existing HDMI cable a couple of inches. So, can you clarify?
"sawood" wrote:
2. I have tried both exiting the app and returning to the homescreen, or staying in an app. Issue persists.

That clarifies. By the way, my suggestion is to always exit an app when you're done. I do it by simply hitting the Home button on the remote, not a series of Back button presses. Some apps (not all) will actually sign you out, not simply exit, via the Back button. Home is a fast sure exit to the Home screen. Additionally, if you leave an app streaming with the TV off, you're still using bandwidth. This may come into play if you have a data cap. You probably know that, since you've been a Roku user for years, but others reading might not be aware.
"sawood" wrote:
3. As soon as I switch the TV to standby and resume from standby immediately or longer, there is no audio every time.

This is a little unclear to me. When you say you "switch the TV to standby" are you saying you're pressing the Power button and it goes into low power mode? (That's what most people would call turning it off, even though it really doesn't. Again, for newbies.)

What I'm reading is this: You're watching something on Roku without issue. You exit the Roku via Home button, then turn the TV off. You then turn the TV on within seconds, and there's no sound from the Roku. Is that an accurate description?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
sawood
Level 7

Sorry, I mean Express, not Stick. Your closing description is accurate.
0 Kudos