Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

No audio on new Roku Express +

I have a brand new 2019 model Roku Express + (SKU#: 3931RW) that will not play any audio. Video is fine with no issues at all. It is connected by HDMI directly to a 6 year old TCL 50 inch TV. The new Roku replaced an older Roku 2 that had no audio issues and still doesn’t on the same TV (I tested it again yesterday to be sure). I hooked up the new Roku Express + to a different 9 year old tv via HDMI and the sound worked just fine, so it is not a defective player. The issue appears to be that for some reason the new Roku makes the 50 inch TCL tv think it is connected by DVI (instead of the actual HDMI connection). I have tried all 3 HDMI ports on the tv and it does the same thing (shows “DVI” input instead of the normal “HDMI 1080i”). All three ports on the tv work fine with the cable box, Xbox, and old Roku 2 and properly show as a HDMI connection on the input. Is there any work around for this? And assuming no, would any other new model Roku cause the same issue? It is bizarre to me how it works fine on a much older TV but won’t work on my newer living room tv.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: No audio on new Roku Express +

Was on with tech support for 40 minutes. Before doing a factory reset take the cord from a wired headset and push it in and out of the audio output slot on the tv if it has one until you see the volume change numbers. Then factory reset the TV and see if it works. If not then factory reset, unplug, hold power button for two minutes, plug back in and turn it on. See if you have sound. Only other thing is to call tech support. Hope you have a warranty on the tv. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

The poster said his old Roku connected back to the same set has no audio problems, and that when the new Roku is tried on another set the audio problems follow it.  I agree, a problem with a tv's earphone jack could cause this, but I think that's been ruled out.  This doesn't sound to me like a problem with tv.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The audio problems actually do not follow the new Roku on a different TV. I tried it out on an older TV in another room and it worked just fine. Again, on the main living room TV (the one with the issue) all other devices work fine including a cable box, XBox, and older Roku 2. I have swapped them all around and tried all 3 HDMI inputs and there are still no audio issues. The only device with the audio issues is the new Roku Express plus. I noticed the older Roku 2 software was last updated in 2019 while the new Roku Express plus has the most recent update. The only thing I can figure is a software issue that causes the TV to think the new Roku is a DVI connection instead of the HDMI it is connected by.  Again, the older Roku 2 works just fine on the same TV using the exact same HDMI connection. Once I hook up the new Roku Express plus to the same HDMI connection, the TV input changes to “DVI 1920x1080” and the sound no longer works. 

0 Kudos