Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamie4
Reel Rookie

No audio - hdmi changes to dvi

Just bought a Roku express. 
I get sound on the Roku loading screen but then it changes itself to DVI for some unknown reason. Never had this problem with anything else. I’m aware DVI is video input only. 

Tried different HDMI cables in different HDMI ports. My TV doesn’t even have a DVI input. 

Done all of the usual changed audio to stereo, rebooted etc 

Wonder if it’s a faulty box?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: No audio - hdmi changes to dvi

Can you be more specific about the message/error/problem you are having?

What brand/model TV do you have?

You say you are getting some sort of "DVI" message - thats most likely coming from your TV.

Its certainly possible you have a faulty Express, but its doubtful this "DVI" message is coming from it.

0 Kudos
Jamie4
Reel Rookie

Hello, the tv is just a Polaroid from asda. Wanted to avoid having to buy a new TV do I just got a ROKU box, although TV isn’t very old, just isn’t smart.

There is no specific error message or code of any sort, it just changes the input from HDMI to DVI after the start up screen has finished.

I get sound on the Roku start up animation then it switches to DVI and get no sound even though it’s plugged in with HDMI.

I’ve done all of the usual resets and changing audio to stereo etc 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You said again "it changes the input from HDMI to DVI" - what "it" are you referring to?

The inputs are on the TV (Poloroid, model still unknown), not the Roku.  The TV is "changing inputs" for some reason.  Its the TV doing the "changing" of its own inputs, probably due to bad detection of the signalling on the HDMI port.

Since you mentioned its a more recent Poloroid TV, make sure the TV has the latest firmware.

Things to try with Roku:

1) Make sure you have the latest Roku firmware:  Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

2) You can try disabling 1-Touch play:  Settings/System/Control other devices/1-Touch-play=off (unchecked) - try again

3) Manually configuring Display:  Settings/Display=1080p TV - try again

4) Manually configuring Audio:  Settings/Audio/HDMI=PCM Stereo - try again

5) But If that doesnt solve it, take it back and exchange it (for the same or different model) - if it behaves the same way, its a strange incompatibility with the TV, try a different streaming device.

0 Kudos
Sue81

I am having the same issue with my polaroid tv sky worked on it but roku will not it is not the roku box as ive plugged mine into the downstairs tv that is samsung and all works fine im thinking the polaroid tvs are not compatable woth the roku boxes 

0 Kudos
BlackBeard

Re: No audio - hdmi changes to dvi WORK AROUND

I have the exactly same problem.

HDMI changes to DVI.

My TV is a Avtex 2 L329TRS. My thoughts is that is probably something to do with it being 12v. However, a lap HDMI to TV HDMI no problem at all.

My solution (work around),  not as elegant as I would like is as follows:

Plug the Roku into a HDMI.

Get a 3mm jack lead and a phone or tablet with a suitable port. Between TV and Handheld device.

Get the Roku app.

Select the headphones/sound option in the remote.

Hopefully, as I did we have sound.

*Bluetooth for sound does work, but stutters for me. If anybody got any ideas that problem, post here 🙂

Also, dont watch wath Bigfoot v Megladon on B-Movies Channel,,,, just saying ;-~)

0 Kudos