Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
de_dude
Level 7

No audio from Roku Express 3900 to receiver

I just bought a new Roku Express thinking that would be a nice way to allow for more convenient and power efficient (compared to current use of XBOX360 and old laptop) video streaming and added functionality like phone screen casting and mirroring, and after trying it out most of that functionality looks pretty good except with one fatal flaw -- I cannot get ANY audio from the Roku to my surround sound receiver! I was really looking forward to using this new device so I am very frustrated that it doesn't work properly with my system.

Receiver is a 10 year old LG HT904SA which has HDMI input that I have the Roku connected to, and supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS. The receiver accepts and plays 5.1 AC3 DD no problem from laptop or XBOX360 over HDMI, but NO AUDIO whatsoever from the Roku. No 5.1, no PCM-Stereo, no sound from Roku menu navigation or from streaming channels, nothing. I am wondering if this is an HDCP compatibility issue affecting ONLY audio over HDMI for some reason? Video over HDMI from Roku to receiver and then out to TV works fine in 1080p. No idea why the Roku can't send any audio to my receiver over HDMI while other devices can -- I've spent several hours scouring the internet and trying every possible menu setting in the Roku and receiver, several factory resets of the Roku, use of included Roku HDMI cable and alternatively my higher gauge high speed HDMI cable, all to no avail.

Note that I can get TV audio from the Roku if I hook it via HDMI directly to my TV, but that is not acceptable as it is a downgrade from my pre-Roku setup -- I need to be able to get surround sound audio from Roku to my receiver or I might as well just return the Roku. Unfortunately I can't pass the Roku audio from my TV to receiver, as my 10 year old Sharp TV ONLY passes ATSC tuner audio over its optical audio output and has no other digital audio output options.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue where they could not get ANY audio from a Roku to a receiver over HDMI? Are there any under-the-hood settings that can be changed or other obscure tips/tricks to further alter the audio output behavior on the Roku, so that it might behave in a more standard way (eg. like my laptop or XBOX360 behaves)? If HDCP is the issue, then perhaps an HDMI switch/splitter that strips HDCP would work, but I don't want to buy that just on the off chance that it *might* help with this.

Thanks for any suggestions!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: No audio from Roku Express 3900 to receiver

You sure you have it plugged into the HDMI input and not the output? Also, I'd try a different, newer HDMI cable.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
de_dude
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
You sure you have it plugged into the HDMI input and not the output? Also, I'd try a different, newer HDMI cable.

Yes, definitely the input port as the video comes through fine to the receiver and then output to the TV (and this is the same HDMI input that works fine with audio/video from XBOX360, laptop). Tried multiple HDMI cables including the one that came with the Roku Express, no difference.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

What are you current audio and HDMI settings on the Roku side?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
de_dude
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
What are you current audio and HDMI settings on the Roku side?

I tried alllll the settings -- not even the Stereo-PCM would yield any audio output coming from my receiver, no idea why. The Auto Detected settings were Dolby Digital, DTS (which makes sense, as that's what my receiver supports) but that doesn't work any better than any of the other settings.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

This is gonna sound silly, but have you powered off the Roku and rebooted it? I've also seen here where people with audio problems have done factory resets and their problems have been fixed (last resort of course!).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
de_dude
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
This is gonna sound silly, but have you powered off the Roku and rebooted it? I've also seen here where people with audio problems have done factory resets and their problems have been fixed (last resort of course!).

Yep, lots of times (I rebooted each time after changing any audio settings on the Roku just in case that would help), and tried factory resetting twice already. After spending my whole evening last night trying to get it working, I'm pretty stumped. Hoping there might be some hidden diagnostics menu that can be accessed to better troubleshoot or tweak additional settings.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Nothing in your receiver's settings? I know it's not the most advanced receiver and it's more of a combo unit, but have you looked in any audio forums or any LG forums?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
de_dude
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Nothing in your receiver's settings? I know it's not the most advanced receiver and it's more of a combo unit, but have you looked in any audio forums or any LG forums?

Nope, not many settings there at all, unfortunately -- it normally just plays whatever (supported) audio stream is passed to it, with no settings needed aside from selecting that HDMI input. It is fairly basic, but has worked well for my 5.1 setup these past 10 years with the only major limitation being only 1 HDMI input available. I did search online for any issue troubleshooting with that receiver, but it doesn't seem to be in common usage as I have found hardly any references to it online. I will update to a new receiver one day that supports HD audio, HDR, etc. after I upgrade to a newer TV, but was hoping to use this Roku in the meantime to add some smart TV capability to my current system. Just wish this Roku could play nice with audio over HDMI just like my older devices do. :?
0 Kudos
de_dude
Level 7

Oh well, as there was no standard stereo or DD 5.1 audio coming out of the Roku Express that my AVR could pick up, I returned it and tried out a Fire TV Stick instead -- this works much better for me in almost all respects, and the remote is great because I can turn on/off my TV and AVR together with one button and control volume. One unique Roku feature that I am sorry to be missing is the Roku mobile app private listening via headphones plugged into a phone, but oh well, no device is perfect and sometimes you get unlucky with obscure system incompatibility issues. :?
0 Kudos