Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmjz12
Reel Rookie

No Volume / Muted At Startup

I also have the problem that the  roku streaming stick+ defaults to mute on power on.    It is more than just an annoyance to me.   I tend to miss the audio of first few seconds and have to rewind to hear it.  I'd like the riloku team to provide workaround and fix. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
JR24

Re: Roku soundbar volume muted on power up

@RokuTannerD 

I have the same problem, but don't have a mute button on my Roku remote. However, my issue is not with a soundbar. Whenever I turn on my tv, the sound is muted and I have to bring up the Roku app on my phone, to unmute the sound. I tried deleting the Roku app from my phone, but that didn't solve the problem. I also looked everywhere in the setting to try and fix the problem with no success.

Jim

0 Kudos
Domienikk

Re: No Volume / Muted At Startup

I have the same issue. I had a 2018 Roku Ultra, and it worked fine. I bought a 2020 Role Ultra, and swapped them out. Same connections and settings. No matter what I watch (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc.) The first few seconds of the video is muted and them the audio starts playing. Its very annoying. 

0 Kudos
TonyWang

I have the same issue... worse, once in a while (a week or so), the audio is just legging in a major way (lip Sync). I have to reboot to get it back; and, maybe it's not related, the video output would mess up and I have to reboot. Maybe this is a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
wboscar
Reel Rookie

I have the exact same problem as you and it's extremely annoying.

I've spent a couple of hours with Roku tech support and I like to tell you that they've been helpful but it's not the case. They're convinced that I have a wrong setting but this is my third Roku and the previous ones have been fine.

I use the Roku media server to listen to my humongous music collection and losing the first two seconds of every song drives me nuts.

0 Kudos
southwos
Channel Surfer

I have 4 Roku Soundbars, 2 of the small ones, and 2 large ones.  The one I'm having an issue with is one of the large ones.  Model: 9101R2 Roku Streambar Pro, Software Version: 11.0.0 Build 4193-95.

I have it connected to a Vizio 65 inch Model: E65-E0 Version: 11.0.0120.1-1.  It was working normally for many months when I first got it.  Then it started having the mute when powered on issue. 

My other three Roku's do not have this issue.  They are however connected to different TV's from different manufacturers.  I have tried the suggested fixes here to no avail.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

@southwos

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? In addition, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About
Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,

Karla

0 Kudos
lilith87

Hello I’m having the very same issue with my audio I have absolutely no sound. And the mute button is not on my remote. 

my model number is 3930RW

serial is X0040024AUJ1

i just installed the roku yesterday and I was watching tv not touching anything when sound went out. Also tried unplugging roku from the tv itself no luck. Unplugged tv from roku and from power also reset my internet but I do not have a mute button on my remote but looks like it’s engaged.

0 Kudos
saw4846
Binge Watcher

I just purchased a new Roku Streaming stick 4K 3820X. I have a great 5g WiFi connection and every app and every video I have watched all start with no sound. This doesn’t happen happen on my Roku Streaming stick 3810+ on the same WiFi and testing the exact same apps and exact same videos. 

Tried restarting multiple times. Not sure what other actions I can take. It is obviously an issue with the newer streaming stick, not sure if it is hardware or software.

after the initial silence if I back up to the beginning of a video the sound starts fine. 

UPDATE: I get audio immediately if my Denon AVR is on. If the AVR is off the audio takes about 5 to 10 seconds to start. It is synced fine, just the audio starts late.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@lilith87 @saw4846

Thanks for the post.

Are you connecting the Roku device directly to the TV? Are they are external audio devices connected to the TV? Are you still able to hear audio when accessing and making selections in the Home screen and just experiencing this issue during playback of a channel?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to another HDMI port on the TV as well as connecting the device to another TV to see if the issue persists.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos