Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlofy
Level 7

No Surround Sound

I set up a brand new out of the box Roku Ultra running through a Pioneer Elite receiver with a Samsung display.  After set up, the audio only outputs in stereo regardless of the application (YouTube TV, Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu).  I confirmed that the Audio mode is not in Night or Leveling Mode and tried multiple HDMI ports/cables from the Roku into the receiver.  It seems like this is an intermittent problem with Roku's, but I have not found any recent threads (< 6 mo old) on this topic.  Has someone experienced this issue and was able to fix it without some series of good luck and/or voodoo?

5 Replies
tlofy
Level 7

Re: No Surround Sound

As a follow up, I am running a Roku 4670 through a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 with a Samsung 8 series display. The Pioneer is capable up to Dolby Atmos and does not even show the Center and Rear channels on the display even in the Roku menu.

Spakula
Level 7

I just set up a Roku Premiere and am having the exact same issue. Everything plays in stereo, not in 5.1. My Roku is connected via hdmi to my audio receiver, which is then connected to my tv via hdmi. Everything else that is connected in the same exact way (ps4 and cable box) work perfectly. 

sketchy
Level 7

Did anyone ever reply to you?  I just got a Roku ultra and have no surround out of the box. I also checked the volume mode settings.  

0 Kudos
Spakula
Level 7

No, I haven’t heard anything since the original post. I wound up returning the Roku and getting an Apple TV, and the problem disappeared! It now works perfectly. 

sketchy
Level 7

Thx. Might just return it then.  I’ll try a few more things this evening before I give up. Thanks for responding. Have a nice evening.

0 Kudos