Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Re: No Surround Sound-Roku Ultra 4660X

Jump to solution

Agreed, but because Netflix plays nice by either decoder, I think it indicates that the issue lies within the Roku itself, rather than a setting in the TV or the audio chain.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Moman19 wrote:

Agreed, but because Netflix plays nice by either decoder, I think it indicates that the issue lies within the Roku itself, rather than a setting in the TV or the audio chain.

Certainly a possibility. My point is the even through the TV and Roku apps appear identical, they are coded completely differently and may not have equivalent functionality. 

I can't compare my Ultra 4640 to your Ultra, because mine has a DD encoder, so can send out 5.1 even with stereo content. I can't remember which model you have, but I don't think it was the 4640. But you might experiment with the audio settings in the Roku, changing it to DD/DTS instead of Auto and see if that makes any difference. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I have the newest, latest & greatest 2019 Roku Ultra (model 4670X on SW version 9.2.0).  I wanted the Best one available.  Tinkering with the settings you suggested have made no difference whatsoever.  Crazy, huh?  I assume this issue is due to a recent SW update, but who knows?  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I also have a 4670, but it hasn't had a software update since Jan 14, so I don't think you've received one recently either. But with Roku, you can never tell. Mine is just connected to a small TV with no outboard audio, so no idea if it had audio issues with stereo. When I first received it I did have it connected to my Yamaha and on a 4K set, and I was getting 5.1 from Amazon at the time. But I put my 4640 back on that set because I wanted the TV power and mute controls that come with the 4670 remote for the other TV, as well as not needing to be line of sight with the remote like the Premiere I had there before. The Premiere is going in my suitcase for travel, and my older Stick will likely just be retired. 

Dan

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have a 4670 running the latest firmware connected thru a Denon to a Samsung TV. I have no problem getting 5.1 (DD+) from these Roku apps: Netflix, Prime, and HBO among others. I just tested it

0 Kudos
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I want to thank you guys for your assistance.  I believe I found the issue.  When I set the Roku audio to "Dolby Digital Plus, DTS", the DD5.1 returns to Prime and other services.  Not sure why, but it works!  I will report back if things change. I hope others will stumble onto this remedy. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Moman19 wrote:

I want to thank you guys for your assistance.  I believe I found the issue.  When I set the Roku audio to "Dolby Digital Plus, DTS", the DD5.1 returns to Prime and other services.  Not sure why, but it works!  I will report back if things change. I hope others will stumble onto this remedy. 

Good job continuing to troubleshoot. Smiley Very Happy

Dan

0 Kudos
sgmfish
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"When I set the Roku audio to "Dolby Digital Plus, DTS"....."

Be careful. Be aware that once you do this, straight DD (not plus) will no longer work on the Roku. I have postings elsewhere on this forum about how to deal with this.

0 Kudos
Moman19
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and will do a search to learn more.  Frankly, this concerns me because I assumed I resolved the issue and was happy just to get past ordinary stereo with the center channel working again. I'm not really up (yet)  regarding differences between DD5.1 vs DD Plus.  All I know is that I only get 2 channel stereo when I set the Roku to DD.

0 Kudos
doughughes2011
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok I am having a very similar problem here.  I have a Samsung UN65JS9000 TV and a Roku 4670X where i have the HDMI out of the Roku connected to my TV and the TV optical out to my receiver.  But, ARC HDMI only supports DD and not DD+ and as Netflix and Amazon broadcast in DD+ I only get 2 channel sound delivered to my receiver.  Is there no way where the Roku delivers DD instead of DD+?  Or are there any Roku players with optical out?

0 Kudos