Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remo
Level 7

No Sound

Our Roku has been working fine. Tonight I have two problems: 1. No sound. 2. The TV screen flashes Roku information and plain grainy white, alternating for about two seconds. 

I re-powered the Roku several times and eventually got the white flashing to stop but the sound has not come back. I've read all the available technical information on the Roku audio and all the settings are correct. (They had not been changed from when it worked anyway.) If I switch the TV to broadcast TV the sound is fine, so I am sure the TV itself does not have an audio issue. I also noted that my Roku was updated today at about 1400 hrs. I now have software 8.0.1 build 4090. Is there a known bug in this new release of software? Is there a way to roll it back?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Remo
Level 7

Re: No Sound

Correction - the software update was not today, it was a month ago. I guess that is not the issue. I have now done a factory reset and it makes no difference. I also noticed that I am not getting the "bonk" sound when I use the Roku controller either. So, the sound issue is not movie or transmission related, it is basic to the operation of Roku. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

What model of Roku, and how is it hooked up to your TV? Almost sounds like it's hooked up via composite cables, and possibly incorrectly..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Remo
Level 7

It is a Roku Express. It is connected by a single HDMI cable from the Roku to port HDMI-1 of the TV. As noted, the TV has sound if you change it to broadcast TV and the Roku was working fine yesterday. Nothing has been changed since we installed it about two months ago. 
0 Kudos
Remo
Level 7

I've also swapped out the HDMI cable with a very high quality one - no change. The menu volume is set to medium and I am getting no "bonk" sound. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Have you tried a different HDMI port? Is there a per-port (each HDMI port may have its own independent video and audio settings) setting that allows you to disable the TV's speakers?

Just grasping at straws here.. if you've searched high and low in the TV settings (again, some may be port-independent) and nothing seems to help, I think you may have a bad Roku unit..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Remo
Level 7

I went back at this this morning. I tried all the HDMI ports on the TV, they all have the same results. Then I went and got another, small, TV from upstairs and brought it down. I connected the HDMI cable to it, selected the HDMI port and voila!, video with sound. OK, I said. It must be the TV. So, I reconnected to my main TV and went through all the settings for audio - nothing there that would make a change. But, I was having difficulties with the HDMI signal. Sometimes it would connect, other times not. Sometimes it would give me the flashing white screen. So I went and got a THIRD HDMI cable (who knew I had so many). I decided to try it with the second TV first just to confirm it was OK. Now the second TV can't detect the Roku at all. I tried the other HDMI cables, same thing. The second TV work perfectly twenty minutes ago, now it won't work at all. I switched back to the main TV and it is having difficulties detecting the Roku (regardless of which cable). Sometimes it connects, other times it does not. It never gets audio.

Update: I've kept at it. I found that HDMI port 1 on the main TV never works. Port 2 gets flashing Roku no sound. Port 3 steady video no sound. Port 4 steady video no sound. I totally powered down the main TV (unplugging it). Now HDMI port 2 is working properly WITH SOUND. I have no idea how this happened. It certainly was not because I fixed it.The second TV still cannot see the HDMI signal from the Roku, even after a full power down of both the Roku and the TV. Is there something about HDMI that I'm missing?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

What kind of power are you using for the Express? I'm not familiar with that model, but does it take a micro USB connection or does it take it's own proprietary power supply? I'm just thinking maybe it's not getting enough power to work correctly..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Remo
Level 7

No Sound - Solved? I have everything up and working again without any clear answers as to what the original problem was. I did do some research on the HDMI port and there seems to be a range opinions as to whether it is safe to hot-plug HDMI or not. I have always hot-plugged them. However, totally powering down my TV set was the solution to getting sound back. 

In my situation, the Roku is powered off the maintenance USB port on the TV. This means that the Roku is powered on even when the TV is "off" but in standby. I've changed the TV power settings so that the TV does not use standby power. Now when the TV is off, the Roku is also off. This means that each time I power up the TV, the Roku and the TV go through a fresh HDMI handshake. Powering on the TV takes a little longer, but I can live with that. This seems to have solved the no sound problem though it is a bit early to tell. After all, the Roku worked fine for several months living off the standby power without issues. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

True.. if the sound issues continue, I'd suggest trying to power the Roku with a wall adapter, instead of USB. USB power sometimes isn't sufficient
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos