Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwpetersen
Level 7

No Sound on TV

I have two Roku devices (Roku 2 SX and Roku Premiere+ ).  Until recently, each has been working fine with its Vizio TV, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.  Now neither Roku gives sound in the bedroom (the picture is fine), and both have no problem with the sound or the picture in the living room.

I also have DirecTV which has no problem with sound in the bedroom.  Thus I am confident that the HDMI cable and HDMI port on the TV to which the DirecTV is attached are fine. 

I have unplugged the HDMI cable from the DirecTV and inserted it into the Roku.  Still no sound from either Roku. 

Any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: No Sound on TV

Did you try the various settings under Settings->Audio?

0 Kudos
rSoTkLu
Level 7

A common temporary solution is to restart the roku.

Unfortunately, the problem comes back.....not sure why they cannot remedy the problem.

0 Kudos
Swordsman
Level 7

Both the television and the Roku must have the same audio settings.  My Samsung will not play sound in the stereo mode on the Roku.  The Roku must be set to Auto Detect.  Go for the best setting on the television that is not stereo, then make sure the Roku matches that setting.  If your television is set to automatically update software, the settings may have been changed.  Check.

0 Kudos
dwpetersen
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestions.

Problem solved. 

I left everything unplugged for half of a day.  When I restarted everything, no sound from the DirecTV box either.  I concluded the 8-year-old Vizio TV was having problems and replaced it with a Roku TV. 

Now everything works fine including my Roku 2 XS.  With my new Roku TV I know I don't need the Roku 2 XS, I just wanted to check and see if everything worked ok.

0 Kudos
Swordsman
Level 7

Thank you.  I have to admit to being mystified as to what could be going wrong.  I spent a couple of hours reading and it really left me puzzled.  We live in a 55+ community and everyone calls me whenever something doesn't work.  With that many seniors, it keeps me busy in a good sort of way.  Thanks!!!

0 Kudos