Eeesh, seems most any thread regarding this topic are locked and I had to kinda fool with the title to even create a post. Had been using my StreamingStick+ for a number of years. Not as much in the past year or so (I think it may have been OS 9.2) as I watched more content on my tablet. BUT I wanted to watch something on the bigger screen and ran into this HDCP error. I faithfully followed the exact step by step instructions from Roku, not once, but twice (there is no HDMI cable to it was unplugging then replugging the stick into the TV). Nope, no love or joy. While the Samsung LN-S4090D TV is from before the era of loading apps on TVs, it was an incredibly popular model back in the day and most likely has a lot of units still out in the field. AND everything worked just fine at least until maybe 6-8 months ago (think that was about the time I last used the stick).
Has Roku done something to lock me out from using the product?
Are you sure about your TV's model number? I don't find anything at all about a Samsung TV model LN-S4090D. I see similar numbers, but the differences could be important. Without any information about the specs of your TV, I'm going to ask some generic questions.
Have you tried a different HDMI port on your TV? Your post doesn't state that, so try that to rule out the TV HDMI port you used being bad.
Do other HDMI devices, particularly the newer ones, work on the same HDMI port on that TV?
Have you connected the Roku to a different TV to try and see if it's working?
Let us know about those troubleshooting steps and we'll see if we can come up with an answer.
DBDukes Roku Community Streaming Expert
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution." Note: I am not a Roku employee.
It's a LN-S4096D not a LN-S4090D. That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying that.
So, you are actually getting output from the Roku to the TV, just when you try to play, you get the message? That's what I wasn't clear on. That negates the need for those tests.
I found the manual for that TV online, and nothing in the specs indicates anything that would cause it to not work. It should be working. If you do have access to a second TV, it may be worth checking to see if there is an error message there, too.
Argh, between looking at the model number and searching, I lost track of the number... no question it's a 4092! Think I transposed that to 4090 and got the 4096 back when I searched. Did this a lot more carefully:
Yes, I sure do get output from the Roku to my TV. I can visit all the settings, scroll my list of channels. No question it worked just fine the previous time I used it (which may have been 6-8 months ago)... but am sure the last correctly working OS was 9.2.