Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b2net
Level 9

Re: No Dolby Vision Logo on new 2020 Ultra

From what I've been reading, the new Roku Ultra 2020 will only send out Dolby Vision in 4K at 60fps and not 30fps which many older TVs seem to have.  It will however provide Dolby Vision at 1080p.  If you use Auto Detect instead of leaving the connection at 4K and only downgrading the Dolby Vision content, it actually sets the output to only 1080p for all content.  It will in this setup still trigger DV and HDR10 as appropriate yet only in HD not UHD.  If you switch to 4K+HDR at 60fps, you won't ever get DV and your content will always be HDR.  One main reason for getty this player was for Dolby Vision which makes this all so disappointing.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Level 9

Actually, since it was late and was going to bed I didn't test enough. I wrote my last post this morning before trying something else. I don't have the logos come up even on the built in Roku. Also, Stranger Things (atleast season one) is not doing DV right now. That must be a Netflix problem. So now, I have to go search for my problem on the TV. But, it did make me feel better and just going to keep it. It's so much smoother than the R615. There still have been too many issues with the Roku platform for my liking though, but Roku has me sucked in. 

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

I've tested this and experienced the problem on Netflix, Disney+, and Apple TV+. Based on someone's comment above, I tested this morning on Vudu and still have the problem.

As promised, someone from Roku called me yesterday based on the email ticket I'd opened. Props to them for following up. They asked me to recap the problem and had me give them the serial number of my 4800X. They've opened a ticket with engineering and promised to get back to me but no ETA, which is understandable, knowing how software development sometimes goes. I'm still bummed but less so now. At least I still have the lousy Vizio SmartCast to watch DV content until Roku sorts this out. 

KelvinZero
Level 10

My Ultra updated itself to 9.4.1 Build 4182-C2 tonight. That did not solve the problem.

Rchedz
Level 7

I had this same problem but not at first. I have a brand new LG CX which supports Dolby vision. 

when I got the new roku, with Dolby vision, and plugged it in it actually did say Dolby vision when using Netflix, etc. BUT recently it stopped and now everything says HDR. I think it might have happened with one of their updates. It seems it’s a glitch they need to iron out. I’ve tried all the things mentioned on here and it still says HDR. 

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

The Ultra has updated itself to 9.4.1 Build 4200-C2 and things have changed. It's now behaving as someone said above. It will only give me DV at 1080p, and everything will be 1080p. Or I can set it to 4k/60/HDR10. 

Previously, the Ultra's auto detect saw my TV as 4k/60 DV capable but now not.

This is really aggravating. The whole point of getting this 2020 Ultra was DV.

KelvinZero
Level 10

The auto detect window points to go.roku.com/DV for more help. That returns an Error 403. This is beyond lame and I expect much better from Roku.

KelvinZero
Level 10

I swapped the 18Gbps 4K/60 cable I was using to a 48Gbps 8K cable, but I didn't expect that to make a difference and it didn't. Later, the Ultra updated itself to 9.4.1 Build 4208-C2. Still no 4K Dolby Vision, just 4K/HDR10 and 1080p Dolby Vision. This is really getting old.

0 Kudos
estesbubba
Level 7

My 2019 TCL has 9.4 and displays HDR when playing Apple TV+ Dolby Vision content. 

If I AirPlay Apple TV+ from my phone to the TCL it displays HDR.

If I AirPlay Photos from my phone to the TCL it display Dolby Vision. 

0 Kudos
leebreezi
Level 7

@KelvinZero wrote:

I swapped the 18Gbps 4K/60 cable I was using to a 48Gbps 8K cable, but I didn't expect that to make a difference and it didn't. Later, the Ultra updated itself to 9.4.1 Build 4208-C2. Still no 4K Dolby Vision, just 4K/HDR10 and 1080p Dolby Vision. This is really getting old.

I’m having the same issue. All dolby digital content on my native LG app works fine (LG C9) but when going thru the Roku it all switches to 4K HDR. I got the roku mainly so I can run it through my philips hue sync box. Fruatrated I can’t get dolby digital to come through when that was the whole point.

0 Kudos