Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KelvinZero
Level 10

No Dolby Vision Logo on new 2020 Ultra

I have a Vizio M507-G1 and have been using a TiVo Stream 4K for Dolby Vision content. When using that TiVo, the content info/logos were properly displayed on the TV: Normal, HDR10, or Dolby Vision. With the new 2020 Ultra (4800R), Normal and HDR10 are properly displayed but Dolby Vision content does not display the Dolby Vision logo. It only displays HDR10. The Ultra does correctly recognize the TV as 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) HDCP 2.2. The cable is rated at 4K/60 and is one meter long with no kinks. Again, the TiVo Stream 4K triggered the TV to display the correct info & logos. The new Ultra is not. So I don't know if it's just a missing logo problem or if the Ultra is not actually transmitting the Dolby Vision metadata. 

I have HDR always on disabled because that makes non HDR content look bad. With this disabled, the Ultra is supposed to pass through the content's metadata unaltered.

Anyone else?

0 Kudos
73 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: No Dolby Vision Logo on new 2020 Ultra

How old is your Vizio? I know there were some Vizio and Sony TV built 2018 and earlier that don't support DV at 4k/60. They only support DV at 4K/30, which the Roku 4800 apparently doesn't do. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Hmm. The G in the model name means it was developed in 2019. I bought it in March of 2020. When I run the Auto Detect display function on the Roku, it confirms 4K/60 and 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) at 60.

But then there's the Auto-adjust display refresh rate setting on the Roku. Through two TVs and two Roku Ultras (this one and last year's model), I've never been able to turn this on. When I do, I get rainbow colored snow and the Roku reboots. I don't know if this is related to how to solve this. It seems to be off by default.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@KelvinZero wrote:

Hmm. The G in the model name means it was developed in 2019. I bought it in March of 2020. When I run the Auto Detect display function on the Roku, it confirms 4K/60 and 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) at 60.

But then there's the Auto-adjust display refresh rate setting on the Roku. Through two TVs and two Roku Ultras (this one and last year's model), I've never been able to turn this on. When I do, I get rainbow colored snow and the Roku reboots. I don't know if this is related to how to solve this. It seems to be off by default.

Yeah, that should be new enough. I've never been able to live with auto refresh rate either. it makes my MPEG-2 DVD rips have a stutter to playback, so I just live with the 60 Hz framerate. My Shield will match resolution and framerate as long as the source material is at least 720p. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bgothard
Level 7

Use auto pass through otherwise it won’t show on your tv as atmos. Auto sends it as Dolby Atmos-MAT and it won’t change the tv logo. 

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Changing the audio setting from auto to pass through didn't solve the video (logo) problem I've described. Dolby Vision content still displays HDR10. 

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Going (very slowly) back & forth with Roku's email support on this and not getting anywhere. Very frustrating when they ask about something, or give a suggestion, that was previously covered in the email thread. There doesn't seem to be an option for live support.

0 Kudos
SD493488
Level 9

I had the same issue. I turned “HDR Always On” to off in the advanced settings and that resolved the issue. This may or not be your issue.

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Yeah, that didn't solve it for me. Just got an email from Roku support... someone is supposed to be calling me. Will update here with the resolution.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Level 9

Same here as well. 

My wife and I started Stranger Things over. With HDR Always On = Off, no DV singnal is sent. When you turn it On, the TV settings show its getting a DV signal but the DV icon does not pop up. 

Vudu is a different story. I can have HDR Always On = Off and Vudu titles will send the DV signal (only can tell in settings) and no DV logo pops up.

Also, the HDR setting is stupid because you never know what is truly being sent. It also lowers the quality of non HDR content since most TVs don't output nearly the light in HDR modes as they do in SDR. 

Atmos also gets sent fine regardless of the HDR settings

TV: TCL R615

Reciver: Yamaha TSR-7850

Dealt with so many audio issues with HDR/DV titles over ARC, but they seemed to get ironed out after 2 years, but audio issues with the P605 as well. Been waiting for this Ultra because of the DV support, but it is far from ready. There is another thread about the DV problems as well.

I guess my personal moral of the story is, I love my Roku Expresses because they are on smaller tvs not used for critally watching anything. Haven't had any problems with them either though. But, since the TCL P605 (Roku Ultra), Audio issues, TCL R615 (Roku Ultra) Audio issues, and now the Roku Ultra 2020, DV issues I don't know what to say anymore. Maybe I will come back one day. But my Roku Ultra is going back.

It was nice that that is was a lot snappier than the R615 since it has 4 cores instead of 2, but it's not worth a new headache since I can't trust it. I'm tired of messing around with Roku problems, especially on my main setup.

Also, one tiny straw is that the ethernet jack and wireless are still limited to 100mbps MAX. 

0 Kudos