Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dolby logo

@KelvinZero First, it's not the fault of Roku how media is presented in 3rd party channels. And all channels are 3rd party, except for The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. 

HBO obviously has issues with their channel on Roku devices. However, both titles you mention are actually displaying in 4K Dolby Vision on my set. Yes, the app has them labeled as HD, but the DV logo displays on my LG screen and the image certainly looks 4K. So, it's HBO that can't seem to program their information correctly in the Roku channel. That's nothing that Roku themselves has control over. 

Dolby Vision is working fine with my Ultra 4800 with the content that I've tried. This includes HBO Max, Disney+ and Vudu. I've heard that Prime Video has some DV content, but I've never tried any of them. If the providers themselves can't label their content accurately, that's not the fault of Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
b2net
Level 9

This isn't a matter of a channel not providing DV.  Auto detect only detects DV in 1080p on many TV sets.  I literally have to change to 4K 60fps HDR every single time we turn off and turn back on our TV.  Because the Roku Ultra 2020 defaults back to auto detect which as stated only detects 1080p DV.

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

@atc98092 It's not a labelling issue since the apps recognize what the TV/connection is capable of and dynamically display that. If that display is out of sync with what's delivered, that's yet another issue. But my issue remains that my 4800 does not do DV on my TV with any content, from any app, and the Fire Stick does. In the end, it's making the Roku platform look bad. 

@b2net Yes, this is what I'm seeing too but no amount of switching back & forth to auto-detect gives DV at 4k/60. DV at 1080p is a non-starter. It looks horrible and is supposed to be 4k (UHD, not HD).

0 Kudos
b2net
Level 9

I totally agree it is **bleep**.  We bought our Roku Ultra 2020 so we could have DV 4K.  We can either have DV 1080p or 4K HDR so we pick 4K HDR as it is superior to DV 1080p.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@KelvinZero wrote:

@atc98092 It's not a labelling issue since the apps recognize what the TV/connection is capable of and dynamically display that. If that display is out of sync with what's delivered, that's yet another issue. But my issue remains that my 4800 does not do DV on my TV with any content, from any app, and the Fire Stick does. In the end, it's making the Roku platform look bad. 

@b2net Yes, this is what I'm seeing too but no amount of switching back & forth to auto-detect gives DV at 4k/60. DV at 1080p is a non-starter. It looks horrible and is supposed to be 4k (UHD, not HD).

It is a tagging issue - the HBO Max Roku app tagging is wrong - 4K/DV/HDR/Atmos content does in fact play as such, but isnt tagged as such, regardless of the EDID/handskaking issues with the 4800 (that do exist).

(In other words, even if your Roku 4800 correctly detected DV and DA and configured itself as such, the 4K/DV/HDR/Atmos content wont be correctly tagged in HBO Max, but WILL correctly play - this isnt limited to the 4800, but all Roku 4K/HDR/atmos-capable models)

The HBO Max app on Roku (50.8.24) has rarely been updated since release, and is many versions/releases behind its brethren on other platforms (50.20.0.173), all of which have received regular and significant updates, though at release time it was at the same version level - for whatever reason WarnerMedia hasnt been updating the Roku app in any significant or meaningful way (perhaps some kind of acrimonious punishment due to the prolonged negotiations with Roku).

So, two different issues (4800's EDID/handshaking, HBO Max's Roku app tagging), both of which need to be addressed, and both have been slow-rolled at best - though perhaps both are waiting for the next RokuOS release (9.5/10), which should be announced/initially released within the next week or two.

StreamerUser

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

It is a labeling issue when my Ultra shows those titles as only HD but they stream in 4K Dolby Vision. So HBO is doing a lousy job with their app development. But I have even more issues with Max on my Shield. Often on it I can't even finish watching something. It plays a bit and then stops like it's buffering and never resumes. I can switch to my Roku and it plays perfectly. So overall HBO has lousy app developers. 

Dan

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Roku OS 9.5? We'll see. If it's a major release, I'll call it a tipping point. Fallout from bad management of third party developer relations on the Roku platform is yet another thing making the platform look bad.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I think the next OS update will be 10.0, but no idea how close it is. 

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@KelvinZero wrote:

Roku OS 9.5? We'll see. If it's a major release, I'll call it a tipping point. Fallout from bad management of third party developer relations on the Roku platform is yet another thing making the platform look bad.

Nothing unusual, its that time of year - Roku does spring/fall OS releases - and the spring release is usually announced at the end of March/beginning of April.

StreamerUser

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

An opportunity for them to quietly slip in some fixes.

0 Kudos