Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Dolby logo

@KelvinZero wrote:

So a buddy keeps telling me that CBS All Access supports DV. But from what I've seen on Roku, it doesn't even do HDR10. Just normal 4k. So I loaded up CBS AA on the Fire Stick, and.... Dolby Vision. I am beyond angry right now. I can't get DV working on this 2020 Ultra at all. Lousy little Fire Stick works great. Roku is dead to me.

CBS AA does support DV, just not on Roku (yet?), though it does support HDR10 on Roku (all HDR-capable models).

Should be working with Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, The Stand, The Twilight Zone and some others.

Based upon what I've seen from this thread and some others (and relative to the behavior of all other models), the 4800's EDID/handshaking is different/broken/limited, which causes all manner of quirky issues (e.g. no DTS output when directly connected to LG TVs with DTS support) including your DV one.

All you can do is make sure your firmware for all devices is up to date/configured properly and report the issue to Roku (especially every time a new firmware build is released).

As for as alternate streaming devices/platforms goes, this is a key reason I recommend having at least 3 - hardware and software incompatibilities exist, and software updates (firmware/app) can break existing functionality.

Just keep using whatever app on whichever device gives you the best (or any) experience at any given point in time.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yep, that's why I have Shield players as well as the Rokus. Since my two main 4K sets have AVRs attached, I've never even considered audio issues, as the TV never processes the audio. I watched Picard before I had the LG, so HDR10 was all I got with my previous Samsung. I believe I still used my Roku for Discovery, since I wasn't getting 5.1 from the Shield.

And my Roku is still vastly better than the Shield for HBO Max. Even with an update earlier this week, the Max app still crashes on the Shield, and I have noticed that when watching Game of Thrones the Roku offers a recap of the previous version, while the Shield goes straight into the episode. 

I'll be dropping All Access when my year's up. Plenty of content, just very little I have enough interest in to justify keeping a subscription. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

This thread has been going four months and we've seemingly been down all the (mis)configuration roads. It's not that hard, at least it shouldn't be. I've also got now two tickets open with Roku on this, spoken to them on the phone, and went through the process on the device of registering it on their server to the ticket. At the beginning, they seemed like they were trying. Now crickets. Any movement at all would be OK because I do this kind of thing for a living and I know the ins & outs of software development and finding & fixing odd bugs. Leaving it in silence is not OK.

That CBS All Access doesn't do HDR on Roku is Roku's responsibility because it's their platform. It's up to them to work with the major app developers to ensure the best possible experience on their platform. Otherwise, they lose people to other platforms. Discovery & Picard are the only shows I watch there so I enable that subscription in the months needed. No HDR. Netflix, D+, Prime, Apple TV, all do HDR10 but not CBS AA.

I agree that this is likely an EDID issue and had brought that up earlier in the thread. All devices are updated - I check daily because of this. Anytime there is an update, I report back to the ticket, FWIW, no change. That shouldn't be hard for them to solve. From the lack of traffic here on this, I suppose my problem is rare and probably specific to the EDID interaction with my model of TV. Vizio isn't exactly small though so it shouldn't be hard for Roku to get one in the lab and figure it out. Unless they're not on speaking terms and customers like me are paying the price.

Having the Fire Stick as the DV solution is my workaround but that's lame. It's a "me problem" but having that one extra device goes down configuration roads I don't want to go with the Harmony remote I use so the family doesn't get stuck when I'm not around. Changing that creates too much friction with them that I don't want to deal with. As a platform, the Roku's UI, stability, and app ecosystem are great and it should be able to be the only device. At least that should be Roku's goal as well.

0 Kudos
atc98092

"That CBS All Access doesn't do HDR on Roku is Roku's responsibility because it's their platform."

I can't agree there. CBS is the creator of their channel, not Roku. That's something that is under the sole control of the channel developer. CBS and HBO had the same issue with Android TV devices, but it wasn't the responsibility of Google to resolve it. Only the programmers of the channel can make multi-channel audio available. Since Roku offers 5.1 on many other services, it's not a Roku issue. It's something in the programming of the channel itself.

Dan

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

The problem is that it's making Roku look bad because CBS AA is full featured on other platforms. Obviously, Roku can't fix it themselves but they should be working closely with a major developer like that, to the point of being a nag. That said, maybe CBS doesn't care because they're moving to Paramount Plus so we'll see if that app is any different shortly.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I think you've nailed it there. With the upcoming roll-over to Paramount Plus, I can see them completely ignoring the current version of the channel. Wouldn't matter how many complain or what pressure Roku attempts to apply.

Dan

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@KelvinZero wrote:

The problem is that it's making Roku look bad because CBS AA is full featured on other platforms. Obviously, Roku can't fix it themselves but they should be working closely with a major developer like that, to the point of being a nag. That said, maybe CBS doesn't care because they're moving to Paramount Plus so we'll see if that app is any different shortly.

CBS AA has been problematic on most platforms, including lacking 5.1 on most.  Even on Roku it isnt default - you have to manually change it every time.  So Roku has 5.1 whereas Android-based platforms dont.

However, it does have HDR (HDR10) on the Roku platform - its there and does work.

If your Roku is having a difficult time with all forms of HDR, it seems like an EDID/handshaking with the TV or configuration issue within the TV.

Assuming your Roku/TV firmware is updated and you have everything configured correctly, its likely a brand/model specific EDID issue, and you've reported it, and all you can do is wait and repeat if necessary after each firmware update.

There most likely isnt going to be any "new app" - they'll simply rebrand the current CBS AA app, perhaps with a major app update.

But thats all the purview of ViacomCBS - Roku isnt involved in that development process at all.

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Took my Roku over to my mom's place last night, where they have a newer LG. Connected my Roku, ensured Deep Color was enabled on that input then tried it out. Roku's auto detect recognized the TV for 4K/60 Dolby Vision. Played some DV content from Netflix. All worked as it should. So at this point, I'd say it's not my Roku hardware. It's not my 2020 model Vizio TV because that gives me Dolby Vision with both a TiVo Stream 4K and a Fire Stick 4K. This is looking more & more like an EDID problem on the Roku. Is anyone at Roku listening or paying attention? Tap tap tap... Hello?? Is this thing on???

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

The new Paramount Plus does do HDR10 on my Roku where CBS All Access did not. But I'll be watching P+  on the Fire Stick since it does Dolby Vision.

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

Looked through HBO Max today on the Fire Stick, specifically Tom & Jerry and Justice League. As expected, Dolby Vision was there and works. Looked at the same two titles on the Roku. Just HD. Just HD, no UHD, no HDR of any kind. So sad.

I know, I know... it's working fine there on Roku. But this has been broken for me and others since the 2020 Roku's release and the promise of Dolby Vision. Since October of last year we've had to use other hardware to get Dolby Vision. The silence from Roku is deafening.

Maybe they're too interested in their new content acquisitions. One of the main reasons I got on the Roku platform was because it was not tied to a studio or trying to do their own content. Just being a delivery platform. Slowly that's changing and maybe this is the price. I'm hanging on barely to the hope that they will fix this but it's really wearing thin.

0 Kudos