Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_H-
Level 9

Re: Dolby logo

I'm in so many threads for issues I forgot to say that the issue got fixed pretty quickly for me. But I still have audio issues with some movies and some channels on YouTube TV. Recently tried the free Google TV I got for having YT TV for a while and guess what, NO AUDIO ISSUES!!! Also, IT DOES DOLBY VISION AND ATMOS!!! It's also only $50. I still need to live with it for awhile but from what I'm seeing, my ultra will probably get replaced. Still have Expresses on the other 2 tvs that don't get used much but Google TV looks like the way to go now. 

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

I got the Fire Stick 4K for DV content until Roku gets this together. For half the price it works great. The TiVo Stream 4K got itself into a reboot loop and their only solution was to reset it. Flush. If not for the family being used to the Roku UI, and a couple unique kids channels there, it would be gone by now.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have Dolby Vision no problem with my Ultra 4800. Remember that all devices in the chain must support Dolby Vision. If you're using an AVR that doesn't support DV you won't get it. If your AVR supports HDR, that doesn't mean it supports DV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

There is a whole history of details & answered questions in this thread. I have no AVR in my system. The sources are connected directly to the TV, which is acting as the switcher. Every other device that supports DV has worked. This Roku Ultra 4800 does not.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@KelvinZero 

In your case then, there's really only two possible options. One is there's a setting somewhere on the TV that isn't correct for that HDMI input. My guess is you've already tried all of that. The other option is the Roku is defective and it needs to be replaced. My 4800 outputs DV just fine on my LG TV. I did have to swap my AVRs between the bedroom and family room, as only one of them supports DV. Until I swapped them I could only get HDR. Once I swapped the AVRs the Roku (and my Shield) immediately recognized DV was available. 

Dan

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

I've also thought it might be a defective unit. Though it would be odd that HDR10 works at 4K/60 but DV doesn't. I know another person, with a different TV, but having the same issue. One would think that if it was a software issue, it would be more widespread but perhaps not if it's an EDID problem with specific TVs that Roku might have to sort out, if they even can. I bought it directly from Roku and have an open ticket with them. I can float the idea of an exchange but they never brought up the hardware possibility.

I've been doing pro AV and product development for a very long time and this kind of thing is aggravating.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, stuff like this can really be annoying. I just tested Netflix, and the DV flag appeared on my screen when I selected a DV title. I also just tried a title on Vudu with the same success. My TV is the LG NANO85. I have Ultra HD Deep Color enabled on HDMI 3, which is the only connection I have between the TV and the Yamaha AVR. The Yamaha is set to video passthrough, and the hidden menu has been set to permit HDR/DV (it's called Mode 1 and Mode 2: I forget which setting is necessary for HDR). 

Dan

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

My Ultra 4800 updated to 9.4.1 Build 4236-C2 tonight. Still no Dolby Vision. Crickets from Roku on the ticket that's supposedly still open. If not for the apps/channels my daughter watches, I'd be flinging this thing off the nearest bridge. I for sure won't be recommending Roku anymore.

0 Kudos
KelvinZero
Level 10

So a buddy keeps telling me that CBS All Access supports DV. But from what I've seen on Roku, it doesn't even do HDR10. Just normal 4k. So I loaded up CBS AA on the Fire Stick, and.... Dolby Vision. I am beyond angry right now. I can't get DV working on this 2020 Ultra at all. Lousy little Fire Stick works great. Roku is dead to me.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@KelvinZero There must be a misconfiguration somewhere. I get DV just fine from my Ultra 4800. I had to swap the AVRs between my bedroom and family room, because only one of them supports DV. But I have no issue with DV from HBO Max, Vudu and Netflix. Not certain I've watched anything on All Access that was DV. Don't forget that it's up to the provider to offer DV on the device. You can't blame Roku if CBS doesn't offer DV on Roku devices.

And for providers that only offer HDR10, I get that just fine as well. Including streaming my UHD ripped movies from my home server. I have to transcode the audio, since Roku doesn't support bitstreaming lossless Dolby or DTS, but my server sends the video through untouched. 

Dan

0 Kudos