Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KenNishi

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS)

Jump to solution

I set as you told me but the voice is much softer than music. Not only Netflix YouTube has the same problem. Do I need to change the settings in the mail settings?

0 Kudos
Nick02bac

Xfinity Stream App No Dolby Output

Jump to solution

I’m currently unable to get the Xfinity Stream app to send Dolby 5.1 surround sound to Sonos system. I’ve adjusted all the different audio settings on the Roku Express audio settings section with no success. All I’m able receive Is PCM Stereo. Any suggestions of how to correct would be appreciated. 

JohnBoy44
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, but have an Anthem AVM60 preamp. Did you ever figure out if it's the Roku Ultra or the Anthem that's causing you to get only 2 channels? I also get 5.1 audio when I stream out of my LG TV instead of through the Roku.

0 Kudos
Rckumm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

YouTube TV can send 5.1 to Samsung and LG TVs running Cobalt 20 or higher.  It has been testing 5.1 to Roku but it isn’t available yet. What is perplexing is that Chromecast with Google TV doesn’t run 5.1 either (yet). 

It isn’t the Anthem or the Roku. ( HBO Max run through the Roku will pass 5.1 to the Anthem.)

Why Samsung and LG TVs get the 5.1 and the dedicated media streamers don’t is very strange. I expressed frustration that Roku didn’t push YouTube TV to offer 5.1, but then I learned Chromecast with Google TV didn’t either. So the blame indeed lies more with YouTube TV than Roku.

Thankfully you and I have LG TVs (not to mention Anthem products)!  LG TVs now has Apple Music!  Roku has to worry more about LG than it does Apple TV and the rest.

0 Kudos
JohnBoy44
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Rckumm,

It's good to hear that the problem is with YTTV and not our equipment. You're correct that I can get DD5.1 from my LG TV and feed it to my Anthem AVM 60. I use an optical cable as the HDMI ARC didn't work for me. But, it bugs me that I can't get YTTV 5.1 from my Roku and I have spent many hours trying to get it to work. Let me tell you some of my experiments and why I'm not sure it's YTTV's fault. I have several models of Rokus's and have tried them all and messed with all the settings. I bought an Amazon Firestick 4K to try, as that is suppose to decode YTTV 5.1. I had my friend in Milwaukee, (100 miles away), try his Ultra and he could only get 2 channel, same as me. I had my son in Middelton, WI (20 miles away), try his Roku Stick 4k+ and he says he GOT 5.1 with his Denon receiver. He normally uses the Apps in his LG or his Apple TV. What the heck? So, when the Roku worked for him I assumed that the problem was the Anthem. I contacted Anthem and they said since all other multi-channel networks worked,, it wasn't their problem. I would have thought the Firestick would have worked. Do you still think it's YTTV"s problem to fix? If not, I'll keep working on it. It's my hobby. Thanks. John

0 Kudos
drdream

Jump to solution

I've been at this for some time.. I guess I did miss "Dolby Digital was superseded by DD+ 10 years ago" I bought an old AVR with no HDMI inputs so my roku plays my Plex movies in 5.1 nicely, but only stereo from Netflix, etc. Then I read all these post. I keep hearing people say "You need another device to decode dd+" but I can find no such device. I wish to have HDMI (DD+) -> 6 RCA outputs so I can use another DSP after for room correction, and split the Left/Right to my mixing board so I can use my computer and TV at same time. Anyone know of such a device? Every one I see on Amazon says "DD+ Decoder".. then "Does not decode dolby".. so confusing. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@drdream wrote:

I've been at this for some time.. I guess I did miss "Dolby Digital was superseded by DD+ 10 years ago" I bought an old AVR with no HDMI inputs so my roku plays my Plex movies in 5.1 nicely, but only stereo from Netflix, etc. Then I read all these post. I keep hearing people say "You need another device to decode dd+" but I can find no such device. I wish to have HDMI (DD+) -> 6 RCA outputs so I can use another DSP after for room correction, and split the Left/Right to my mixing board so I can use my computer and TV at same time. Anyone know of such a device? Every one I see on Amazon says "DD+ Decoder".. then "Does not decode dolby".. so confusing. 

There's no add-on device I'm aware of that will convert DD+ to DD for feeding an older AVR. The Roku Ultra (the most current version) has a built in Dolby encoder, so it is capable of sending DD+ out as standard DD. So your choices are really to either upgrade your AVR (and perhaps it's time), or get an Ultra. Just be careful looking for an Ultra and make sure it's the current version (4800), as the older versions don't have the encoder (the 4640 does as well, but it's unlikely you'd find one of those new). 

If your current TV supports HDR/Dolby Vision, or if you're considering an upgrade in the not too distant future, you might need an AVR upgrade anyway. Specifically with Dolby Vision, the AVR has to support it, even just for video passthrough. I had to swap my two Yamaha AVRs when I got a TV with DV so the video would correctly trigger the TV, as only one supports DV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@drdream 

You never mentioned your Roku model # or firmware version (it matters):  Settings/System/About

Your post is a bit confusing, since you say your AVR has no HDMI inputs, yet you somehow play Plex in 5.1 from your Roku - since the only way to get 5.1 from a Roku is via HDMI (or Optical with the 4640), some crucial piece of connection information is missing.

What is your Roku (model unknown) connected to, and how is it connected? What is the overall connection configuration of your "home theater"?

If you want 5.1 from NetFlix/Prime/Disney+/etc (services that only use DD+/EAC3), either your Roku needs to decode DD+ or another device in the connection chain needs to decode DD+.

As @atc98092 mentioned, the 4800/4802 (Ultra 2020/2022) are the only current models capable of decoding DD+ (and converting it to DD for output over HDMI).

Since you apparently acquired a legacy DD-only AVR (brand/model unknown) with no HDMI inputs (assumed Optical input), your best option if you want to keep/use it is to get the 4800/4802 and an HDMI>Optical/RCA converter/audio extractor (preferably with EDID), and connect 4800/2 <HDMI> HDMI Extractor/Convert <Optical> AVR <RCA 5.1/2.0> "DSP" or PC or "mixing board"

You didnt mention whether your AVR has an Optical input or analog RCA 5.1 outputs, but we'll assume it does:

1) 4800/4802 (to decode/convert DD+ to DD for HDMI output, allowing 5.1 from all apps/services)

2) HDMI/Optical converter (to convert HDMI to Optical)

3) AVR (to convert Optical DD/DTS/PCM 5.1/2.0 to RCA analog 5.1/2.0)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just to be completely accurate with definitions: to be an AVR it requires video ports. No video, it's just a receiver, not an AVR. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS) Through ARC

Jump to solution

I have a 4630. Setup was hdmi to older Samsung tv then optical out of that to receiver.  I was only getting stereo so I bought a audio extractor I guess you would call it.  Plugged the Roku into that used the optical out to receiver and hdmi to tv but still only get stereo.  If the 4640 decodes dd+ to dd I would think the 4630 would as well?

0 Kudos