Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS) Through ARC

Jump to solution

@nhadfield wrote:

I have a 4630. Setup was hdmi to older Samsung tv then optical out of that to receiver.  I was only getting stereo so I bought a audio extractor I guess you would call it.  Plugged the Roku into that used the optical out to receiver and hdmi to tv but still only get stereo.  If the 4640 decodes dd+ to dd I would think the 4630 would as well?

Nope, the 4630 is the Premiere+. Only the Ultra 4640 and 4800/4802 models have the DD encoder. While optical audio is technically capable of bitstreaming DD+, most devices won't do it. The only way you'll get more than stereo sound is to send the audio to the AVR via HDMI. This is from the Wiki post for DD+ :

However, the S/PDIF interface has insufficient bandwidth to transport Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3)
bitstreams at the 3.0Mbit/s datarate specified by HD DVD; lower datarates are possible.

So, in reality very few devices will offer DD+ over optical, as it is out of spec for the optical connection. It looks like it's time for an AVR upgrade for you. Considering you can get an inexpensive AVR that supports all the lossless codecs, including TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-MA/:X for only a few hundred, it might make sense to get one with as much capabilities as possible, future proof if nothing else. When I picked up the Yamaha I have in my family room, I had no need for Atmos or Dolby Vision support, as I didn't have the speakers or display to support either. Since then, I added a couple of speakers pointed at the ceiling (to get two channel Atmos/DTS:X) and have also added a DV capable TV, so it was a smart buy on my part. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dang.  I’m way behind.  Well I did order the 4640 I see it has its own optical out.  
Last time I messed around with them optical was the best thing. 
I bought a receiver with optical in and dd so I was happy with that lol. 

0 Kudos
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just to clarify.  I will get dd with the ultra4640?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, both the 4640 (which is now almost 6 years old) and the 4800/4802 have Dolby encoders, so it can take DD+ and output standard DD. Both of my AVRs support DD+ and use HDMI input/output jacks, so I've never needed to use the function so never tested it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey thanks.  I almost went with an AVR but decided on the AR instead

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just make sure you don't get a 4801 (pretty sure only available at Walmart). It's had a few things removed (price cutting), and the DD encoder is one of them.

Dan

HelpfulDad
Binge Watcher

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS)

Jump to solution

Once again you update and ruin something.  Suddenly your so-called “auto detect” is screwing up and I csn no longer get dolby digital from the Roku.

nice job dipsh!ts

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@HelpfulDad the information you provided doesn't help with a resolution. What model Roku (model number, not name), what are you watching, how is your Roku connected to your TV (and/or AVR)?

Dan

0 Kudos
HelpfulDad
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’m not going to waste any more time with Roku on this POS.  I’m warning others how awful this thing is.  You jerked me around when you screwed up 4k from a so-called “update”.  

anyone researching these boxes should get something else like an appletv.  These jugheads screw up everything with each update and will jerk you around but in the end, won’t do anything.  

Don’t buy a Roku 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Well helpful, you really aren't. Your rant provides no information, so whatever you're attempting to warn about is unknown. I have 4K Roku players on three different TVs, and haven't seen a problem with any of them. I have no idea what your issue is, and I'm sorry we can't try to help. 

Dan

0 Kudos