Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waynomo
Level 7

No Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix

Hi,
I'm new to Roku and these forums. I don't have Dolby Digital sound with HBO GO* and Netflix. Dolby Digital does work with Vudu and Plex.
*When I use the HBO GO app on my TiVo Bolt I do have Dolby Digital sound.

Roku Ultra 4660X
Software: 9.1.0 build 4111-46
Audio Mode (Auto (Dolby Digital, DTS))
HDMI Auto Detect 

From what I've read I should have Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix. I'm looking for any suggestions of how to fix this or trouble shoot this. I'm not even sure where to begin. Even pointing to other posts would be helpful. I have read a bit and I see that this was a problem on previous versions of the software prior to 9.1, but on those posts that I've read it says the problem was fixed by updating the software. 
0 Kudos
15 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: No Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix

"waynomo" wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to Roku and these forums. I don't have Dolby Digital sound with HBO GO* and Netflix. Dolby Digital does work with Vudu and Plex.

Roku Ultra 4660X
HDMI Auto Detect 

From what I've read I should have Dolby Digital on HBO GO and Netflix. I'm looking for any suggestions of how to fix this or trouble shoot this. I'm not even sure where to begin. Even pointing to other posts would be helpful. I have read a bit and I see that this was a problem on previous versions of the software prior to 9.1, but on those posts that I've read it says the problem was fixed by updating the software. 

How is everything hooked up and what devices are involved?
0 Kudos
waynomo
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:
"waynomo" wrote:
Hi,

Roku Ultra 4660X
HDMI Auto Detect 

How is everything hooked up and what devices are involved?

HDMI from the Roku to the Samsung 4 input box. SPDIF from the box to the receiver. (It doesn't go to the HDTV first)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

So Ruku Ultra -HDMI->Splitter Box-Optical-> Receiver?

Most optical does not support DD+, so that's more than likely your issue?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

As twiceover mentions, Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), not standard DD. Very few (if any) TVs will output DD+ from an external device over the optical out. I thought Vudu also used DD+, but perhaps it is recognizing the audio path can't support it. Try changing your Roku audio from Auto to DD/DTS and see if that makes any difference. If not, then the only way to get 5.1 audio is to connect the Roku directly to an AVR via HDMI. And the AVR has to support DD+, which many older models don't. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
waynomo
Level 7

@twiceover @atc98092

The HDTV is a Samsung  UN65JS8500 purchased in March of 2016. There is no connection from the TV to the receiver. The TV has a box with 4 HDMI inputs. The box has a special cable that goes back to the TV. The box also has the SPDIF out that goes to the receiver.

The receiver has no problem with Dolby Digital when using the HBO GO and Netflix apps on my TiVo or when I use the apps installed on the TV. So the optical digital out does handle Dobly Digital. Is it possible that the apps on the TV and TiVo aren't outputting the same signal as the do on Roku? Maybe those are Dobly Digital+ and the others aren't.

I did change the audio options on the Roku and it didn't make a difference.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"waynomo" wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

The HDTV is a Samsung  UN65JS8500 purchased in March of 2016. There is no connection from the TV to the receiver. The TV has a box with 4 HDMI inputs. The box has a special cable that goes back to the TV. The box also has the SPDIF out that goes to the receiver.

The receiver has no problem with Dolby Digital when using the HBO GO and Netflix apps on my TiVo or when I use the apps installed on the TV. So the optical digital out does handle Dobly Digital. Is it possible that the apps on the TV and TiVo aren't outputting the same signal as the do on Roku? Maybe those are Dobly Digital+ and the others aren't.

Your Receiver is likely not able to decode Dolby Digital Plus. That's the issue. If you can get a hold of the older Roku Ultra Model (4640X), that would work with your setup as it has a built in Dolby Digital Plus decoder. https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-Enhanced/dp/B01M05030B
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
waynomo
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:

Your Receiver is likely not able to decode Dolby Digital Plus. That's the issue. If you can get a hold of the older Roku Ultra Model (4640X), that would work with your setup as it has a built in Dolby Digital Plus decoder. https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-Enhanced/dp/B01M05030B

Thanks. I suspect that you're right. My AVR is an older model. I still find it strange that Dolby Digital works fine when using the apps on TiVo or the HDTV.
I guess I'm off to eBay. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"waynomo" wrote:
@twiceover @atc98092

That box is still part of the TV, so yes your TV does connect to the AVR. My Samsung has a similar box. But yes, most likely the TV is not passing the DD+ signal back out the optical link. DD and DD+ are two different animals, and a TV or AVR that handles DD fine may not support DD+, especially if it's older. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"waynomo" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:

Thanks. I suspect that you're right. My AVR is an older model. I still find it strange that Dolby Digital works fine when using the apps on TiVo or the HDTV.
I guess I'm off to eBay. Smiley Happy

That would be because TiVo and your TV have built-in Dolby Digital+ decoders for their apps (Your TV likely does not have the decoder tied to the HDMI port, that costs extra money I think for licensing, so TV manufacturers don't include it).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos