Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apodtele
Level 7

No Dolby Digital Plus

I decided to report an old problem again. I have never been able to connect TCL 49S405 with Yamaha RX-V575 using HDMI ARC and Dolby Digital Plus. It works with straight Dolby Digital, DTS but the moment I select Auto Detect or Dolby Digital Plus, I lose all sound. I even lose the beeps when moving around the menu so it is not specific to any particular channel. It is either Roku TV or Yamaha AVR problem.

The AVR is detected and documented as DD+ capable and there is a way to re-sync Dolby Digital Plus connection temporarily. I have to cycle through the AVR inputs and back to AV4 (ARC) to recover DD+ audio but only until a stream switches to something else like another channel or an advertising block when the DD+ connection is lost again. It feels like this problem has a simple software fix - TV an AVR must communicate when the stream switches. As a workaround I am using Dolby Digital (without Plus) because re-syncing manually is not practical.

I had this problem since 2017 and it has been reported with other receivers and sound bars by many people, search this forum for DD+ or Dolby Digital Plus. I understand why this might be a low priority bug - who'd use a budget TCL TV to set up a home theater with an AVR, but still. This might be Yamaha AVR problem - if you have DD+ working with another receiver, please do reply.

Let's hope that we'll get some attention from Roku engineers this time.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JBL
Level 7

Re: No Dolby Digital Plus

DD+ fails on my Denon 1612 receiver as well. This has been the case from OS 8 to OS 9.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Aside from trying to get the black ink / Kodak fix to work (above scammer post, lol), I'd be replacing the HDMI cable first, and then look up in your receiver manual on how to do a factory reset of the receiver, itself.  
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@everyone 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're seeing. Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, along with any additional details about the behavior you're observing. 

@JBL 

A couple more questions to help understand the issue you're seeing: 

- Which setting are you using in Settings>Audio>S/PDIF and ARC (Auto detect, Dolby Digital +, Dolby Digital +, DTS, etc.) when you observe the issue? 
- What make/model of Roku TV do you own? 
- Are you able to hear Roku system sounds when navigating the home screen or menus when 'Auto detect' or 'Dolby Digital' + is selected in Audio>S/PDIF and ARC? 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
HelmofAase
Level 7

I’m having the same issue with DD+ on TCL 65R615 I bought from Best Buy Wednesday. I’m running HDMI ARC with a Denon S530-BT receiver and the volume is also very low with the built in Roku platform. I have to watch Netflix, Prime, etc...around 75 versus 50 on DirecTV. Denon worked flawless with 2012 model Vizio prior to purchase. Seems to be a common issue across the board on Roku TV’s. I really like the TV but I’m contemplating a return since the problem is not being resolved. Please fix! Thanks Chad Aaserude 
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

This AV forum thread indicates that other non-Roku TV brands have exactly the same DD+ issue with my Yamaha receivers. This certainly points towards the receiver as the culprit.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"apodtele" wrote:
This AV forum thread indicates that other non-Roku TV brands have exactly the same DD+ issue with my Yamaha receivers. This certainly points towards the receiver as the culprit.

Question: Have you enabled ARC on the TCL?  There is a setting that you need to set for it to work properly.  Just want to rule that out, but it is a necessary step.

Here's the info: (quoting from your manual):  " HDMI® ARC is disabled by default. To enable HDMI® ARC, in the Home screen menu, navigate to Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC), and then highlight HDMI ARC. Press OK to enable or disable the feature."
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

"Heyitsrick" wrote:

HDMI® ARC is disabled by default. To enable HDMI® ARC, in the Home screen menu, navigate to Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC), and then highlight HDMI ARC. Press OK to enable or disable the feature.

In addition, to disable broken Dolby Digital Plus, you should also navigate to Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC and stay away from "Auto detect" or anything with a Plus. I chose "Dolby Digital, DTS" and it works for me.
0 Kudos
david0406
Level 7

TCL RokuTV 5 Series
Roku Ultra 4
Roku 3
Roku 2
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

All audio is fine with my Yamaha, but I stay away from ARC. Maybe, if it turns out to be the set up, try getting your audio another way, not back from TV, but from Yamaha and only send video to the TV.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos