Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OG_R0ku_User
Level 7

Re: No Dolby Digital Plus

I have had problems with specifically DD+ through HDMI ARC, HDMI direct connection, and OPTICAL on 3 different Roku TV models and also 2 different Roku devices (Roku 4, Roku Stick+) on 3 different soundbars and an A/V Receiver. But all other audio output options work at a normal volume through all output types.

This has been an issue that has been happening for about 3-4 years now using DD+ SPECIFICALLY. Over the years it would occasionally function properly over Optical but never FULLY over HDMI. When it works over HDMI the volume level from it is so low on every audio device that the volume has to be increased to about 60-70% just to be able to hear anything at a listenable level.

So the issue is NOT any specific audio device. The problem has got to be something to do with the volume level information being sent from the Roku source platform to whatever audio device is decoding the information. Perhaps the level is being sent as a negative, or "-", number. Not exactly sure how that information is sent because Im no programmer or audio engineer but I DO know that digital audio source files (ie mp3, wav, flac) on computer devices ALL include a volume indication of some sort. That is why if you ever look through almost any audio player program it will usually have an option called "Volume Leveling" or "AAV" or even "AVL" that "levels" the source file's output volume to a "normalized" listening level.
My point to what Im saying is IT IS NOT THE OUTPUT DEVICES THAT ARE THE PROBLEM but it is whatever way the Roku OS platform is coding and/or sending the Dolby Digital Plus audio information.
0 Kudos
danbfree
Level 10

While it may not apply to the OP's 4 series TV that doesn't Atmos passthrough anyway so the drop from DD+ to regular DD isn't a monster drop off, sorry, I'm not just gonna roll over and disable DD+ when the entire point is that many of us invest in higher-end soundbar and home theater receivers specifically for Atmos, which needs DD+ and DD+ is supposed to be fully supported. Atmos is the biggest thing that has happened to audio since surround sound was invented, so no, not going to just not go without DD+ and Atmos when it says it's supported all over the TV box... I just don't get it, I am well outside the return period for my TV, which I really like otherwise and the deal I got on my soundbar, well, I don't want to return it when I got it for over half off just to try another brand at a far less deal that I got and hoping that it works. Sadly, it appears this isn't going to get fixed either, sounds like it's been happening for years and there has been so little talk about it so it's either that no one cares to address it, or can't even come out and warn people ahead of time because it would likely affect dales for a good reason. I wish I knew ahead of time before dropping hundreds on an Atmos sound bar!

So far, from what I've gathered it seems to be with Samsung soundbars, Denon receivers and Yamaha soundbars AND receivers so that's a lot of people affected that would probably want it working!

0 Kudos
Justinto
Level 8

It is interesting that both my Premier plus and Ultra units will not output Dolby Digital Plus on Hulu, Netflix, or Prime unless I pause the video, rewind it, then press play. The audio is off until I do this. Then the Roku outputs DD+. The exception is if a video is streamed in HDR the Roku outputs the DD+ without pausing and rewinding.  Obviously, it is not the TV's or the receivers. Weird.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
ggixxer599
Level 7

Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same issue with my TV as well.

Thanks!

TCL Roku 65s513
0 Kudos
philbakeco
Level 7

I have an Onkyo SR353 which supports DD+.  However, when I select "Auto Detect" in the TCL Menu, I only get regular Dolby Digital.  If I select DD+ in the menu, my receiver shows it's receiving a DD+ Signal.  Wonder why the Onkyo won't see that when the TV is in the auto-detect mode?  Series 6 TCL/Roku 615, software is 9.2.

0 Kudos
Phantasm22
Level 10

There are other devices and threads noting the same issue. For me if I cycle my inputs then I can get arc to work with DD+ on my Yamaha rx-v373. 

but I also have to do this every time I turn the tv on. Not an ideal solution. This is also on 9.3. 

0 Kudos
No-name
Level 7

I would lose all sound when using "auto" select so now I select "dolby digital, dts" and all seems to be fine. My Yamaha receiver does not have dolby digital plus.  My problem just started in July 2020.

0 Kudos
Phantasm22
Level 10

@No-name wrote:

I would lose all sound when using "auto" select so now I select "dolby digital, dts" and all seems to be fine. My Yamaha receiver does not have dolby digital plus.  My problem just started in July 2020.

If your receiver doesn’t support DD+ then that would be the appropriate setting. What model receiver do you have? Most Yamaha receivers from the past 10 years support DD+. 

0 Kudos
No-name
Level 7

I guess my receiver does have DD+. I have a Yamaha RX -V467.  

0 Kudos
Phantasm22
Level 10

@No-name wrote:

I guess my receiver does have DD+. I have a Yamaha RX -V467.  

This is a known issue with Roku. There is a workaround of sorts to get DD+ working. If you switch the input on your receiver from the ARC/HDMI to another input and back to ARC it starts to work again. Another way to accomplish this is to setup a Blu-ray input on the TCL tv and then switch to that input then back to Roku TV. You have to do this every time you switch on the tv. There is definitely something funky going on with the ARC handshake from TCL/Roku because other streaming sticks from Roku don’t have this problem with the Yamaha receiver. 

I have an open ticket with Roku for months now and will get an update every other week saying they are ‘working on it’. 

0 Kudos