Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Speakeasy123
Level 7

No Dolby Digital Plus from Roku Ultra, only PCM

I just noticed I am no longer getting Dolby Digital output from my Roku Ultra during video playback.  I know it used to work earlier this year but now I'm only getting PCM.  The audio settings in the Roku are all correct and haven't changed.  The Roku is attached via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V573 receiver.  I also have a BluRay player connected, and I'm getting DD from that. I've checked several different Roku apps (HBO, Amazon, Netflix) and all have the same problem.  This makes me think it must be an issue with the player.  

I also noticed that when I'm on the menu screens, the receiver detects DD+ but it drops to PCM as soon as the streaming starts.   

Roku is a 4640X running 8.0.0 software, build 4108-29.  

Any thoughts?  
0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonardR
Level 7

Re: No Dolby Digital Plus from Roku Ultra, only PCM

Audio DropOuts (Again) with firmware 8.0     Everything was fine until this upgrade was pushed to my Ultra a few weeks ago.  Now, when watching Netflix, I get audio drops about once every ten seconds.  I'm connected via HDMI to an Integra DSX-3.   All was working fine with this setup until 8.0 and all is working fine with this exact setup and my Nvidia Shield.  
0 Kudos
Speakeasy123
Level 7

"LeonardR" wrote:
Audio DropOuts (Again) with firmware 8.0     Everything was fine until this upgrade was pushed to my Ultra a few weeks ago.  Now, when watching Netflix, I get audio drops about once every ten seconds.  I'm connected via HDMI to an Integra DSX-3.   All was working fine with this setup until 8.0 and all is working fine with this exact setup and my Nvidia Shield.  

Thanks.  I was thinking it could be an issue with 8.0.  To be clear, mine isn't dropping out.  I get steady PCM, but DD+ doesn't work at all during playback.    
I know it was working in the spring because I was doing a bunch of troubleshooting on the "snap, crackle, pop" audio issue.  That seemed to subside eventually but now I've got this issue.  
0 Kudos
warkdarrior
Level 7

I have the same problem as @speakeasy123: Roku Ultra sends DD+ when in menus, but PCM when playing video. Any resolution to this? It is a quite disappointing "feature" of the latest Roku software.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I tested my Ultra last night, and there does indeed seem to be an audio bug in the latest firmware. I can play a movie in Netflix and get DD+ to my AVR, but Amazon was only 2 channel. Not certain it was PCM, but it absolutely wasn't DD+, and it has been before. Of course, it's possible there is an issue with the Amazon channel. I didn't test any other channel but those two.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

OK, found the problem. And my previous post was in error. I didn't get 5.1 from any channel. It was "User error". Somehow I had enabled the nighttime audio setting, which defaults to two channel audio. There's no way to use the nighttime setting and retain 5.1 audio. As soon as I turned it off, I had 5.1 back on all my channels. No idea how it came to be turned on, as I knew that it disabled surround sound.  Smiley Surprisedops:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gsshiva
Level 7

I have the same problem with the 2017 Ultra (4660) where Amazon app is only sending 2CH. The 2017 Ultra does not have an Optical Out, so I am not sure if Roku would convert the DD+ stream to DD on the HDMI out. I get DD from other channels like Vudo. Just need confirmation on the DD+ to DD conversion on 2017 Ultra models.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"gsshiva" wrote:
I have the same problem with the 2017 Ultra (4660) where Amazon app is only sending 2CH. The 2017 Ultra does not have an Optical Out, so I am not sure if Roku would convert the DD+ stream to DD on the HDMI out. I get DD from other channels like Vudo. Just need confirmation on the DD+ to DD conversion on 2017 Ultra models.

No, it doesn't. Only the 2016 model does. Hence the price drop on the Ultra this year. https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare-chart-products-en-us.pdf <-- You'll notice the "Dolby Audio™ decode via HDMI® and optical " is not checked on anything but the Roku TVs.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
dcandrews74
Level 7

I had a similar issue with my 2018 Roku Ultra not putting out DD+ signal to my preamplifier / sound processor. After a lot of frustration, I did find a fix that worked for me and wanted to share it. A factory reset of the Roku unit. Unplugging, rebooting, changing settings did nothing to resolve the issue. But for some reason a factory reset followed by immediately setting the audio settings on the Roku to Surround and DD+, DTS fixed it. The unit is connected via a HDMI cable into a Rotel RSP-1572 preamamp, which supports HDMI 1.4.

Cheers.
0 Kudos