Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

No Audio on Netflix & YouTube?

(Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) Everything worked absolutely perfect for several years but things stopped working, I kept getting the dreaded HDCP error. On everything. About a year or so ago (think it was 9.3 OS, worked great, downhill since then) was the start point of those issues. So I took it out to see what was up. Tried the latest rev of Netflix... wow, no HDCP errors. Tried YouTube, again, no HDCP errors. Of course everywhere else (like the Roku channel) I got HDCP errors. HOWEVER nowhere can I find audio. Checked all settings, everything is set correctly. AND if I power it down, then power it back up I sure DO get the opening audio over the bouncing logo. Tried it on each of my TVs HDMI inputs.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: No Audio on Netflix & YouTube?

You didnt mention your:

1) Current firmware version:  Settings/System/About/Software = ?

2) Current display settings:  Settings/Display type = ?

3) Current audio settings:  Settings/Audio/Digital output format = ?; Settings/Audio/Audio mode = ?

4) Your TV brand/model/firmware version = ?

...all of which is crucial information for this stated issue.

Despite all that, try:

For HDCP errors:

1) Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type = 720p TV/1080p TV/4K 30Hz TV/4K 60Hz TV/etc (do NOT use Auto)

2) Disable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate = off

For no audio:

1) Manually change output to stereo:  Settings/Audio/Audio mode = Stereo and/or Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Stereo

2) Verify volume/sound modes are disabled:  During playback press Options (*)/Volume mode = off

Otherwise, if none of these changes addresses any of the issues, test the SS+ with another TV - if all the issues persist with the other TV, you should Factory Reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

Most of my settings were exactly as you suggested, I think I only changed one thing. I mentioned 9.3, a time when my stick worked 100% but failed to mention it is now at 11.0.0. I 100% believe all the HDCP errors started with the post 9.3 era of system software. In the 10-10.5 era everything errored. Oddly enough, in 11, everything except Netflix & youtube errored. Oh, my TV is 720p, HDCP 1.4 (which is what the stick sees).

So I did the factory reset, talk about back to scratch. As has always been the case, I sure hear music (a jingle) playing with the bouncing Roku logo. Obviously the stick CAN send sound to my TV. Made sure the settings were set as you mentioned, and still no sound at all.

Now during all the time I was getting HDCP errors everywhere, obviously I couldn't hear any sound from the stick. NOW that said errors are fixed for 2 channels, I am able to play content.... and it has no sound. All of this clearly points to the OS... Give me back 9.3, all will work and I'll be happy.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@RiversideGuy 

Which "one thing" did you change?

What formats are detected?  Highlight Settings/Audio/Digital output format/Auto Available = ?

You need to test the SS+ with another TV to verify whether the SS+ audio processing (hardware or software) is broken, or there is an EDID incompatibility with your TV.

You might also consider a Factory Reset of your TV (unknown brand/model/firmware) - they are known to fix HDMI ports/processing stuck in "odd modes".

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

The Volume mode, I never knew such a thing existed as it was not in the System settings.

It wanted to set me to 10i80, I think I selected 720. It seemed to go on and on checking for HDCP BUT it correctly identifies it as 1.4 (can't remember where but there is a big box saying 720 and HDMI 1.4). It's a Samsung LN-S4092D.

Testing on another TV is going to be an issue, getting around for me is not easy and I don't know anyone who lives close and has access to the rear without major removal for a cabinet. I have no clue how to factory reset my TV, it is pretty old... i'll see what I can find out.

Let me reiterate, this stick worked just great on OS9.3, it's only after it starting getting updates that all this stuff started to happen. The devil is within Roku's software wouldn't you agree?

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@RiversideGuy 

You didnt answer the question of audio format detection.

What audio formats are detected?  Highlight Settings/Audio/Digital output format/Auto Available: = ?

Unfortunately Roku stupidly hides the Volume Mode settings and makes them only accessible during playback - one of the worst UX/UI design decisions I've ever come across, and has caused continuous confusion and complaints over loss of multichannel output (enabling them reduces output to 2.0), especially after firmware updates, as some past firmware updates have actually (unknowingly to the user) enabled them.

I agree that firmware updates/changes to audio architecture/EDID detection are a likely culprit, though a Roku or Samsung hardware failure is possible, though not as likely due to boot audio but no UI/app audio.

Otherwise:

1) Make sure you are powering it via the supplied AC>USB power adapter (do NOT use the TV's USB port if one exists) - otherwise try another AC>USB adapter of at least 1 Amp or higher.

2) You dont have UI audio either, right? As in, when you move the cursor around the UI/Menus, you don't hear the "beep" - Settings/Audio/Menu Volume = High )

3) If you cant test the SS+ in another TV, you need to test other devices (DVD/Blu-Ray player, game console, etc) with the TV's HDMI ports to verify they are working properly to continuously pass audio.

4) I couldnt find any information on Factory Reset'ing that model after looking in the manual online - there may be a (likely hidden service) menu setting somewhere - if you cant reset it, unplug it for 5-10 minutes, then plug it back in while holding the power button for at least 30 seconds .

5) If the detection routine detects 1080p and you allow that, do you still get a picture? If so, do you also get UI/app sound with 1080p?

6) Considering the issues with display detection conflict (720p vs 1080p), there is one more thing to try - disabling automatic recovery (after manually setting it to 720p) -  Using the Remote: Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x, Disable automatic recovery - then unplug it from power for 3-5 minutes, plug it in.

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

Sry, been a very busy week. The digital output was set to stereo.  If I choose auto, it says stereo is detected, so the setting remains on stereo. Yes it powered via the OEM charger and cable. Correct, no UI audio either. Trying another device will be difficult and crawling on the floor is quite a challenge for me. I will endeavor to try that in the coming week. The Display Type will not accept a 1080 setting defaulting back to 720. There doesn’t seem to be any conflict here, it will only choose 720 which is what the TV is.

No matter what, I do appreciate the efforts you are going through to help me solve the issue.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@RiversideGuy 

You also need to try to reset the TV using the method I provided (unplug from AC power for 5-10 minutes, then plug it back in to AC power while holding down the Power button for at least 30 seconds)

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

Thanks for the help offered, question is moot now as I have gotten a brand new 2022 N90B TV and everything works great on my stick (well, except for an "overheating" issue and the stick gets very warm-hot).

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @RiversideGuy,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be informed that the thread is solely for no audio on Netflix and YouTube only. If you need further assistance with another issue, please create a new thread for that specific concern.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos