Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GFP
Level 8

No Audio from Roku Media Player

I have read many posts concerning this problem and have not seen a solution. The videos show up and play from the Roku Media Server...without audio. It doesn't matter the codec or wrapper, none work. I have tried putting the videos through Handbrake where you can change the audio output to pass through, no help. There are settings to change the output to different types of dolby if anyone knows which one will work. I use a brand new Roku 3 with usb stick with wired ethernet. 
12 Replies
Maverick
Level 7

Re: No Audio from Roku Media Player

Roku products seem to be subpar and defective.
I had the same issue which happened only within the first week of purchase from BestBuy. I swapped it and the second unit now has similar audio issues after 4 weeks.
Roku CS are non-supportive.
Both are Roku Ultra units BTW..
I am looking for a Roku alternative now.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Maverick" wrote:
Roku products seem to be subpar and defective.
I had the same issue which happened only within the first week of purchase from BestBuy. I swapped it and the second unit now has similar audio issues after 4 weeks.
Roku CS are non-supportive.
Both are Roku Ultra units BTW..
I am looking for a Roku alternative now.

Hold on there Top Gun.  You can't say "Roku PRODUCTS seem to be subpar and defective" when you've evaluated 1 product.  Sure it might be 2 different boxes, but it was the same product.  All of my units have been working fine.  Hiccups here and there, but they work.
Ugh, there's smoke in the air, all air is broken, woe is me.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

GFP, what audio codecs are you using? I know you said the codec doesn't matter, but it really does. For the record, I have no issue with AAC, AC3, DTS, or DTS-MA (which streams the DTS core, not the lossless audio). It should support FLAC and some others as well, but I don't use any others. Also, two of my Roku players connect to Yamaha AVRs, while the Stick and TV just use the TV audio. No issues with any of them. All of my media comes from a DLNA server, not a USB stick. It's always possible there is something wrong with your Roku 3.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
GFP
Level 8

When I say the codec doesn't matter, I mean I've tried converting to several that are suppose to be supported by Roku, various versions of h.264 and MKV. For the audio, usually the file comes as AAC (core audio). Handbrake offers HE-AAC, AAC Passthru, AC3, MP3 and Audio Passthru. I have only tried converting to Audio Passthru. Please explain how to set it up to use the TV audio. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"GFP" wrote:
When I say the codec doesn't matter, I mean I've tried converting to several that are suppose to be supported by Roku, various versions of h.264 and MKV. For the audio, usually the file comes as AAC (core audio). Handbrake offers HE-AAC, AAC Passthru, AC3, MP3 and Audio Passthru. I have only tried converting to Audio Passthru. Please explain how to set it up to use the TV audio. 

I'm, not certain that all TVs support AAC, and if it's multi-channel it becomes even less likely. One codec that every TV supports is AC3, either stereo or 5.1. Since it does take some time to convert a file with Handbrake (I wish they had a video passthough like they do with audio), just try changing one to AC3. Roku supports h.264, so that is fine for video. You can use MKV as the container, or stick with MP4. Either should work.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
GFP
Level 8

Thanks I'll get back with the results. Handbrake actually converts the audio codec almost instantly. 
0 Kudos
Maverick
Level 7

I have an update on audio.
It doesn't seem to be device related but firmware.

Although my first R.U. had no sound (until reset), the second one dropped volume by more than 50% (until reset).
So I have a replacement Roku Ultra (my third in two months) and it does the same thing. It happened again just now.
I think this points the way to an issue with firmware on R.U. and not the devices themselves.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Maverick" wrote:
I have an update on audio.
It doesn't seem to be device related but firmware.

Although my first R.U. had no sound (until reset), the second one dropped volume by more than 50% (until reset).
So I have a replacement Roku Ultra (my third in two months) and it does the same thing. It happened again just now.
I think this points the way to an issue with firmware on R.U. and not the devices themselves.

This is a completely different issue. He's referring to the Roku Media Player specifically, not audio in general.
Dan
0 Kudos
GFP
Level 8

Atc, the ac3 converting did not work either. Could the Roku boxes settings have anything to do with it? I notice that there are a few versions of dolby offered but I have not changed the settings there. It has become a real pain in the ass as I have reverted to burning the files to a dual layer dvd and playing them that way. Can't get plex to work either...does plex cost something now? Also in the midst of attempting a setup of an Emby media server. If I can get a single server to show up within the Roku Media server, I am hoping they might play the file. I never had a problem with plex before.
0 Kudos