Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No Audio for some videos until restart.

Having issues with no audio for some movies on both Netflix and Disney+. Some movies play back fine with audio and others don't until you restart the movie, channel, or roku box. Multiple times. Is there an update for this coming or is my roku box broken? This has been happening for some time and is getting annoying. Was hoping an update was coming and going to fix this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: No Audio for some videos until restart.

Those are both Premium Channels (paid for) you need to be dealing with them directly

as a customer.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

What are the odds of it happening on two channels and it being both their problem? That's why I figured it may be the roku. I do have other channels but I haven't used them lately. I'll try them to see if the problem happens on them as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Joe2019 Thanks for the note. Including more information about which model of Roku device you are using, what your current setup involves (TV & A/V receiver make/model, if any), which content titles in those specific channels you are watching when you encounter the issue, and any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far would help us better understand the issue you are reporting.

A few things to check here: 

- During playback of content in one of those channels, press the * key on your device. On supported models, there will be an option for 'Volume Mode'. Try turning this off. 

- In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, what setting are you currently using? If you change this to Stereo, does the issue stop occurring? 

- In Settings>Audio>HDMI, what setting are you currently using? If you change this to PCM / Stereo, does the issue stop occurring? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ok, this is still an issue on Netflix, Disney+, Amazon. This works fine on other Roku devices and even on the apps that are built in my VIZIO TV. I've been waiting for an update to see if this would get fixed but I guess not. Why is it so hard to contact Roku for support?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Joe2019 Thanks for following up. We'll need more information about your current setup in order to help take a closer look. Please provide the following: 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About) 

- Are you using an A/V receiver in your setup? if so, what is the specific make/model?

- Is your device connected to your TV or to an A/V receiver directly? 

- During playback of content in one of those channels, press the * key on your device. On supported models, there will be an option for 'Volume Mode'. Try turning this off. 

- In Settings>Audio, what settings are you currently using? If you change this to 'Stereo', does the issue stop occurring? 

- In Settings>Audio>HDMI, what setting are you currently using? If you change this to PCM / Stereo, does the issue stop occurring? 

- Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable connecting your device to your TV or A/V receiver, and connecting the device to a different HDMI port on your TV?

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the reply. I had tried everything you said before, some time ago, except trying a different HDMI cable. I will try that. As for the setup. It just connected from Roku to TV via HDMI.

The Roku is the Express (not plus) 2018 version (3900 series).

0 Kudos