Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

No Audio, Model: 3810X, Worked Last Night but Not Today...Fixed

I've spent the last hour working on this, and I found an answer I haven't seen here. So I thought I'd pass it along.

Here's what I knew...

...I had audio last night but not today.

...I got audio when I switched to my cable TV.

...When I toggled Mute using voice commands, there was no change.

...The volume level is set to medium.

...I unplugged the HDMI thingy from both the TV and power, then reconnected. 

Finally, I tried unplugging again. And then I ate dinner. When I reconnected, it worked!

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No Audio, Model: 3810X, Worked Last Night but Not Today...Fixed

Similar problem w/ an Ultra.  Worked fine for 2 weeks, then audio quit when switching channels.  Audio fine when using Dish on HDMI1.  Ultra is on HDMI2.  Tried everything to get it going, e.g., unplugged HDMI2 from both Ultra and TV.  Nothing worked.  Then, read this post.  Soooo, unplugged/plugged Ultra power.  Works great now!  Electronic stuff just goes haywire now and then and needs to be unplugged to reset.

Highlighted
Level 7

We had the same issue.  Unplugging fixed the problem.   THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same here!  NO AUDIO

Over the last couple of months it has happened more than once- when turned on, no audio, it simply wasn't there! while the video continued unabated. So, after several such occurrences, now I know what to do: Just unplug the power to the Roku stick, plug it in again, and walla- everything is hunkey dori (in fact, this is called power on reset).
I know how to solve it- the question is why Roku doesn't provide a better solution, or better product (that doesn't force the user to drag the large TV set aside, bring the eyeglasses, bend behind the set and plug/unplug things....).

My stick is less than a year old Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR. The power supplies directly 110/5v (and not USB from the TV). Still under warranty- SHALL I JUST INSIST ON REPLACING IT?

Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you so much. I spent a frustrating hour online trying to figure this out and 30 seconds here and this was the solution!

Highlighted
Level 8

It's kinda like a computer. If all else fails, reboot. And the way to reboot Roku is to unplug the stick.

Oh...And sometimes the clicker doesn't work for me. So I remove the batteries for a few seconds, and that always cures the problem...so far

Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the tips. I am now unplugging my 3800X at night, once a week, for a cool down and reboot. I use it constantly, it deserves a break. Solved the overheating and audio issues I had. Had remote problems too. That tip: remove/replace batteries is a good one. Can't live without my Roku. Gotta take care.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Suddenly Streaming Audio Quits (video continues)

I have a 10 yr old Sharp TV connected to a 10 yr old Sony 5.1 sound system. I had an old stick ROKU for years and had no problems (OK, a little slow starting up). Time to upgrade and get a later model ROKU?

I bought and set up a ROKU Express+ (3910RW). Worked great for about 6 months, then sound started to  quit when streaming with my new ROKU. The sound system uses an optical SPDIF connection from TV output. After shutting down TV and sound system and restarting, the sound could come back (maybe) or be distorted. I found that sometimes switching to cable or ANT TV first, then to ROKU worked.

Finally I found a work around. Disconnect the USB power cable from the ROKU 3910 and plug it back in. The ROKU dancing icon appears and all the streaming channels work. However, the same thing happens again after some hours or days. Sometimes it happens after changing streaming channels, sometimes I am passively viewing a streaming channel.

Anyway, the new ROKU Express+ no longer works the way it did out of the box, nor is it as reliable as the older HDMI stick model I once used. For now I guess I need to live with the workaround because I gave away my older HDMI stick.

If someone has a better solution, I would like to hear it. Oh - I have the new ROKU on automatic S/W update, so maybe one of the updates caused the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Suddenly Streaming Audio Quits (video continues)

I am having the same sparatic no audio issue and my Roku Premier is brand new out of the box replacement Roku just sent me.  I read there is no Roku support for this issue.  I am very disappointed in the product.  i have told them and they have no responded.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Bingo! That worked for me too.  I unplugged the stick numerous times but never thought to disconnect the power source.  Now.  Will it still be working tomorrow?????

0 Kudos