Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
couver
Level 7

No AAC 5.1 Audio with Roku Ultra

Hello,

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me troubleshoot this issue, since Roku support seems to be a bit slow...  Last December, I decided to upgrade my home theater, including a Roku Ultra, Marantz NR1608, and Sony XBR55X900E.  In addition to online services, I also use Plex for local streaming, with most movies having AAC 5.1 audio.  When I first set everything up, it was all working fine--AAC audio was somehow being served by Plex to the Roku Ultra to the Marantz, and it would resolve as Dolby Digital.  About a week ago, I started getting some of those "HDCP incompatible" messages with both Amazon (with 4K content) and Plex streaming (with 1080 content), and also my AAC 5.1 audio became only PCM stereo, instead of Dolby 5.1--don't know if those two are related, but mention it because the two issue popped up about the same time.  The HDCP message seems to have been resolved by doing a re-check and factory reset, but I haven't watched much/any 4K content, since I have been occupied with the Olympics this past week Smiley Happy.

I have tried everything I can think of, including factory reset of the Roku, new cables, using different HDMI ports.  Same result.  It does not appear that either the Roku or the Marantz took a firmware upgrade automatically when this happened, so I also do not think there was any change to the software of either device.  When I called Roku for support, they had me use the Roku Media Player app to stream a movie--that also resulted in PCM stereo, whether streaming from a PC (tried two different PCs), or getting the media off a USB stick.  I remembered that I had a Chromecast tucked in a drawer, so I pulled that out and plugged it into the Marantz, cast the movie from Plex, and it was Dolby 5.1.

So, it looks like the Roku is the problem, but I suppose it could be the Marantz that has decided the Roku is stereo only.  Like I said, I tried different cables and different HDMI ports (including the one I had the Chromecast in, since I know for sure it was working).  Oh, AC3 audio types do work--they resolve as Dolby 5.1--it is just AAC files that fail.  Roku is 4660X running 8.0.1 Build 4047-46.

Is there anything I can try in order to troubleshoot/isolate the problem?  Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: No AAC 5.1 Audio with Roku Ultra

This thread might help.. this year's Roku Ultra can't decide Dolby Digital, only DD+..

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=110355

Last year's (or maybe the year before now?) COULD decide Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital +
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
couver
Level 7

^^ Thanks... oddly, his 5.1 was working with Plex, but not streaming--the opposite.  It looks like his issue was that his receiver couldn't decode.  My receiver is fully capable of all current formats.  The kicker is that it WAS working just fine, so something changed--don't know whether it is a software or hardware issue with either the receiver or Roku.  The fact that it works with the Chromecast points me to the Roku, but maybe that is not a good conclusion--hence looking for other ways to isolate/prove.

Edit:  I now recall the reason I went from Roku 3 to the Ultra was that the 3 could not pass AAC 5.1, but the Ultra could.  I don't really understand how it works, but if the Roku is passing the AAC to the receiver, and the receiver is doing the decoding, then it would still seem that the Roku is no longer passing 5.1, and is, for some reason, downgrading to PCM stereo.  Receiver decodes just fine with Chromecast from same Plex server, so Roku is the issue?
0 Kudos
Gibscreen
Level 7

There's other threads about how Roku royally screwed up their last update. It broke direct play for ac3 5.1. They're aware of that issue. So I wouldn't at all be surprised if aac 5.1 got messed up too.
0 Kudos
couver
Level 7

I received a "we're still working on it" response from Roku support a few days ago.  In the meantime, I found a similar thread over on the Plex forum, and Plex put up a new Roku app that forces Plex to decode the AAC, however they have also pointed at the Roku firmware as the root cause.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/30778 ... roku-ultra
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Roku players have never passed AAC(stereo or 5.1) through to the AVR. Some could decode AAC5.1 and downmix to stereo pcm (roku-4, ultra, ...) and one model could transcode AAC5.1 to DD5.1 (Ultra with optical out).
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Level 7

My Ultra (2017 model) stopped recognizing Dolby  D 5.1.  Worked fine for months, then just stopped. DTS is still fine, all of the streaming services downconvert to stereo. Gotta get another brand of device I guess
0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Level 7

Same here. Dolby, ac3, aac no longer work. DTS still functions.
0 Kudos