Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

No 5.1 surround through ROKU Premier and Samsung QLED (2020) optical out?

I’m trying to set up my Netflix and other content to play in 5.1 surround. I’m connecting Tablo through a ROKU Premier (4K), then to my Samsung QLED (2020), then optical TV output to my old Yamaha receiver that takes only Pro Logic, Pro Logic II or Neo6 (whatever that is). I get only center and L/R surround channels on Netflix. Using my Samsung 4K DVD player, Tablo connected, Netflix app to feed Netflix into the receiver via optical cable works OK, 5.1.  The problem can't be Tablo, as it works OK with the DVD player.  My receiver is an older Yamaha with Dolby

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 9

Re: No 5.1 surround through ROKU Premier and Samsung QLED (2020) optical out?

Never mind!  It never occurred to me that both L/R front channels would fail at the same time, but I did a system check and, sure enough, that's what it is.  I still don't know if my other hardware will support surround, but at least I have a starting point.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Re: No 5.1 surround through ROKU Premier and Samsung QLED (2020) optical out?

@chuckr wrote:

I’m trying to set up my Netflix and other content to play in 5.1 surround. I’m connecting Tablo through a ROKU Premier (4K), then to my Samsung QLED (2020), then optical TV output to my old Yamaha receiver that takes only Pro Logic, Pro Logic II or Neo6 (whatever that is). I get only center and L/R surround channels on Netflix. Using my Samsung 4K DVD player, Tablo connected, Netflix app to feed Netflix into the receiver via optical cable works OK, 5.1.  The problem can't be Tablo, as it works OK with the DVD player.  My receiver is an older Yamaha with Dolby

DPL, DPLII, and DTSN6 (thats DTS: Neo6) are all "surround" sound technologies designed to expand the sound field to 3/4/5/5.1 channels from 2 channel (stereo) sources (depending on the quality/original encoding within the original 2 channels).

DPLII and DTSN6 are much better than DPL, and overall I prefer DTSN6 of the 3 from that era.

Essentially, if you are just getting 2 channel PCM from the TV's optical connection to your receiver, you'd want to apply one of those 3 to expand the sound field to "surround".

0 Kudos