Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knaveman
Level 7

Night Mode not working

I have a Roku Ultra. Recently, the night listening mode doesn't work all the time. Every time i change to a new app it needs to be toggled off and back on in order to work. When using the Plex app I have to do this with each episode. It didn't used to be like this, although the nigh listening mode has always been picky and buggy, but it gives me the most even sound so I don't disturb the rest of the house watching TV.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or is it one more little annoyance that I need to get used to?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Night Mode not working

Oh, it's buggy for sure.

Other than have it attenuate volume nearly to an unhearable level across the board, I can't see it's doing much. 'Levelling' works exactly the same, as in; not very well.

The feature, generally speaking, is sorely needed, but the way it's implemented at this time doesn't do what we need it to do (or what is advertised)... at all.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're running into. We're currently investigating these reports. 

Please stay tuned for further updates! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
reallymad1
Level 7

I am REALLY MAD.  I just spend more tha $100 to buy the Roku ultra when I didn't need a new Roku, but read that the ultra had 'night listening mode', and we have been dreaming of something like this.  this was ON THE F*CKING WEB PAGE, of Roku, advertising an item to buy and so I get it, and install it and spend the afternoon putting in passwords and IDs only to learn that this feature had been removed.  So they advertise something, hook the sucker into buying it, then when you get it, they have changed it.  How can they get by with this?  I'm reporting to Amazon, where I bought this, and to Better Business Bureau, but I'll never get back the hours I invested in this.  You cannot imagine my fury at this blatant lie and deception. 
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Just imagine how mad you'd be if you went through all that, had Night Mode, and it didn't work - like what's happening over at my house on my Roku Ultra 4660R. It's there, but does nothing useful.

I'm not mad about it, but wouldn't be upset if it was made to work at some point...

lol
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can see more information on how to enable volume modes on your supported device, including 'Night mode' here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-

These are not located in the Home page Settings menu, but are accessible by pressing the * key on your remote during streaming content playback. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

*A reminder that volume modes are not supported for surround sound audio formats, such as Dolby Digital or DTS.

Well, that's handy info.
Can't say I maintain any AAC tracks, or anything other than AC3 2.0/5.1 so that explains it.
I'm sure that'll come as an unwelcome surprise to many, but now that I consider Roku can't deal with AC3 I don't know why I was expecting any 'Leveling'.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Tanner, I don't think that's quite an accurate statement. What I remember reading here (I never use it) is that Night Mode does not process the audio to 5.1 out, but will turn 5.1 into stereo. But it will work with 5.1 audio as the source material. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

"Note: Volume modes are only available in stereo." (From our volume modes FAQ here: https://support.roku.com/article/226802507-how-do-i-use-volume-modes-on-my-roku-streaming-device-[/u...

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

... and besides - why would anyone want 5.1 audio when they can have Stereo?

Uhhh... but anyway...

Realistically for me, "Levelling" would only be necessary if the audio track suffered from Dufus Syndrome - when the Dufus creating the audio track didn't downmix it properly burying the dialog under the gunshot sounds, but in ALL cases that audio is probably AC3 in my case. I won't be changing that to AAC so Roku can "Level" it.
(you may be surprised to learn how many 'Dufi' work in Broadcast Control Rooms all across this great land of ours - and ALL of that audio they can't get downmixed properly is AC3. Unfortunately.)

What I will do, is fire up Plex Media Player, drag it to the TV, and it will use audio from Windows that goes through the Windows Loudness EQ before getting to the TV, but I have to control PMP with the Plex App on my Phone 'cause PMP doesn't understand how a mouse works. <--- and that's way more convenient than activating a 'Leveling' feature on my Roku.

Kids these days want everything handed to them...

(Note: If you're watching the ads inserted into a Movie or Show on a Roku Channel, the feature may work exactly as intended)
0 Kudos