Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Newest update has broken the slideshow feature on Roku Media Player

We use several Roku devices to run promotional slideshows. The images are hosted on an Emby server. Through the Roku Media Player we have it set to replay the slideshow. As of Roku 9.2 this worked fine. We started having issues with a few devices recently where they would play the slideshow from about 2 hours and then crash out to the screensaver. We have figured out that the devices that have issues were rebooted about 30 days ago and show the Roku 9.3 software version. Another device was check that had been working for 33 days straight and it was still on the 9.2 software version. However, after exiting the Roku Media Player to check the system settings software version, the Media Player Icon had changed, the menus had changed and it now has the same problem. We have temporarily changed our images from pictures to a video on repeat. I think this will at least keep them up, but this is not a long term solution as the Roku Media Player pauses to retrieve the video each time.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Newest update has broken the slideshow feature on Roku Media Player

Update: using video also doesn't work. Went and checked after almost three hours and it had dumped back out to the screensaver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

How carefully did you time the appearance of the screen saver? The "Bandwidth saver" feature kicks the screen saver in after 4 hours with no keypress input. Turn it off via Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

It is 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I checked the bandwidth saver and it was off. I have tried turning off the screensaver as well and it just crashes out to the home screen. I have configured a Raspberry Pi to run Plex Server and with the Plex channel, it is working as a stop-gap.

Highlighted
Level 18

I meant to post back to this thread days ago and forgot.  Sorry ...

I tried displaying a folder of vacation pictures via RMP.   I didn't time it but it didn't take long with no input from the remote for the screen saver to kick in (10-15 minutes maybe?).  A little action with the remote keeps things churning, but that sorta defeats the whole idea.  This is not usable. 

I CAN view as long as I want with an app on my phone.  Haven't had much incentive to learn how to cast the phone to my TV or Roku, but looks like I may have to learn (assuming THAT doesn't kick the screen saver in also).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with playing a slideshow from a usb stick, goes to screen saver after a few minutes since the last update, I found a workaround since Roku won't fix it. Download the play usb app, only 5 bucks, problem solved. Now I can watch my family pics again through a full work day without ever stopping, hope this helps.   Mike

Highlighted
Level 18

@Diligent315 wrote:

I have the same issue with playing a slideshow from a usb stick, goes to screen saver after a few minutes since the last update, I found a workaround since Roku won't fix it. Download the play usb app, only 5 bucks, problem solved. Now I can watch my family pics again through a full work day without ever stopping, hope this helps.   Mike

Thanks for sharing your findings.  Unfortunately I'm not using an Ultra so I don't have a USB port to use a stick with my image files.  I'm accessing via files on my desktop using an NDLA server.  Any alternatives to RMP for me?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

yes, I have the same issue here.  it would crash out to the main page where you select which channels. It only happened after an update