Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Binks
Level 7

New ads

So the beginning of this week. My mom started getting ads on her roku device when she launches direct tv now, youtube, ect. It will actually say AD in the top left of the screen. Is this normal? I have a smart tv with roku built in and this never happens to me. It'll actually happen in the middle of one of her shows. ontop of the direct tv's commercials. Any idea on how to stop this from happening or do we need to switch to firesticks?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: New ads

"Binks" wrote:
So the beginning of this week. My mom started getting ads on her roku device when she launches direct tv now, youtube, ect. It will actually say AD in the top left of the screen. Is this normal? I have a smart tv with roku built in and this never happens to me. It'll actually happen in the middle of one of her shows. ontop of the direct tv's commercials. Any idea on how to stop this from happening or do we need to switch to firesticks?

Just tried YouTube on my Premiere, and nothing like that happened. What model Roku is she using?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bozzy
Level 9

"Binks" wrote:

Directv is inserting their own ads during the local ad spots during live tv just like cable companies do. There is nothing wrong with that. It seems to be the intended behavior. Youtube always has ads unless you pay to remove them.
0 Kudos
Binks
Level 7

I mean she has had the roku device for over 2 months now and it just now started happening? Seems really weird. I'm gonna let her borrow my firestick and if that stops the ad's I'm just gonna toss the roku device and get her a fire stick because its playing over top of her shows. It's absolutely ridiculous she has to sit and watch two, two minute ads like shes being forced to. Again this has nothing to do with commercials, she still forced to watch the normal commercials which is typical with TV. But when the Roku Device is forcing ad's on top of it, it's a bit much.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Binks" wrote:
I mean she has had the roku device for over 2 months now and it just now started happening? Seems really weird. I'm gonna let her borrow my firestick and if that stops the ad's I'm just gonna toss the roku device and get her a fire stick because its playing over top of her shows. It's absolutely ridiculous she has to sit and watch two, two minute ads like shes being forced to. Again this has nothing to do with commercials, she still forced to watch the normal commercials which is typical with TV. But when the Roku Device is forcing ad's on top of it, it's a bit much.

Are you actually wanting help? I'm suspicious that you aren't. You were asked what Roku you had, and haven't answered. The folks here know how to help, and they know what information is useful in getting you that help. If you won't answer the questions others have, then you aren't serious about getting a solution. You might want to answer the question about what Roku device you have. You might want to include the software version. If you're actually are wanting help, that is.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos