Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ldempke
Level 8

New TCL Roku Tv 5 series fluorescent red problem

I just bought the new Roku TV series 5 QLED that came out about 3 weeks ago. I am getting a fluorescent red problem that I can’t tweak out without negatively affecting other settings. I’ve set it back to original Settings. I could get used to it after awhile if I KNEW the wide gamut color palette was supposed to show it this way, but I don’t think it is. How do you know what is normal? How do you know it should be returned?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Paddler77
Level 9

Re: New TCL Roku Tv 5 series fluorescent red problem

I have the same problem. I can’t find a way to change the color space settings so color is “normal”. The magenta hue to the red is annoying.  If I can’t find a fix, I plan on returning TV. 

0 Kudos
Ldempke
Level 8

I did return mine. I paid only $150 extra to get the 55” series 6. (Smallest size series 6, but 5” larger than the other. ) I don’t regret it

0 Kudos
Ozone333
Level 7

Anyone else having this issue on these s535s? I spotted something was wrong with the red color right away but not sure if the return is worth the hustle? I guess I could get used to it but is it a problem on all 5 series qled devices or some?

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

Returned mine and waiting for 6 series 635. So your 6 series doesn’t have fluorescent red problem. 
I think TCL could solve issue with firmware update perhaps but I could not live with it...

TCL and Roku need to revamp expert color space settings to make it easier for users to calibrate their TV.

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

I have set up 55R635 for about a week. The fluorescent red problem is less and by adjusting the custom color space option can get you a reasonable picture but Roku needs to make the process of adjusting the color space easier.  Using Native color setting over saturates most colors but especially Red.

I suspect QLEDs have similar issues of blowing out certain colors.  Is there a way for TCL and Roku to address this with a firmware upgrade. 

0 Kudos
Ldempke
Level 8

@Ozone333 It must be this way on many of them.  My friend bought 535 and apparently hasn’t noticed, but when I was there last week I could easily tell but I didn’t want to rain on her parade. It’s her first new TV since HD first came out. How do you say” there’s something wrong with your tv and you should exchange it. It may not be bothering you but you should really get what you paid for...but there is no promise the next one will be any better.”

0 Kudos
Ldempke
Level 8

@Paddler77 

they should do something. We can’t be the only ones with problems.

0 Kudos
Ozone333
Level 7

@Ldempke  I did end up exchanging since 6series wasnt on that sale price as it was on BF I just exchanged for same model. I got mine from Amazon so they sent me brand new rt away now just have to drop off the first one off at UPS. Second tv seems to be dialed down a bit and the red seems more natural even though i can still see Sometimes it does go flaur. So I think some models have it worse. I havent done a side by side comparison but since I still have the other model sitting here can prob set it up if anyone interested. Also my first u its poc materials smelled much stronger. Back panel wasnt sealed tight w front one because of some tape that holds the filter. It was noticeable if you looked behind the tv about midway point at the top. The smell was coming from there much more and I could smell it sitting 5-6ft away. I know all tvs have this brand new electronics heating up/burning smell go and it does go away after few days but this one was smelling much more and wasnt going away.  So there were few reasons for exchange. This replacement model came in a different box (not that color-full one but more” straight from the warehouse type”). So there were few issues to initiate exchange. So guys if you feel something is wrong w your model and you can justify exchange - do exchange and you might possible get a better model!

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

I had some success with reset of the picture settings.  Then instead of adjusting Movies presets, I started with and adjusted Normal mode. In expert settings set Color space to Auto.  
It’s very difficult to manually adjust color space settings.

0 Kudos