Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvollmer
Level 7

New Roku user, no surround capability

I just bought a Roku premiere box (3920X) and hooked it to my Yamaha AVR (RX-V463) just like the old Dish sat dvr box, with the other HDMI to the TV.  I've tried every possible combination of Audio and HDMI variables in the Settings and cannot get any 5.1 surround.  Only 2 speaker stereo for any Netflix/Amazon movies, etc.  Recycled, retried other HDMI cables, etc.  What am I missing, doing wrong?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: New Roku user, no surround capability

"tvollmer" wrote:
I just bought a Roku premiere box (3920X) and hooked it to my Yamaha AVR (RX-V463) just like the old Dish sat dvr box, with the other HDMI to the TV.  I've tried every possible combination of Audio and HDMI variables in the Settings and cannot get any 5.1 surround.  Only 2 speaker stereo for any Netflix/Amazon movies, etc.  Recycled, retried other HDMI cables, etc.  What am I missing, doing wrong?  Thanks!

That AVR might not support the Dolby Digital Plus format, which is different than the standard Dolby Digital.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
tvollmer
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"tvollmer" wrote:

That AVR might not support the Dolby Digital Plus format, which is different than the standard Dolby Digital.

Ok, thanks for that info.  I just looked it up and you are correct, the V463 supports Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II...but not Dolby Digital Plus.  So it looks like I need a new AVR that supports DD+.  Guess I should treat myself to that and new speakers.  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"tvollmer" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"tvollmer" wrote:

Ok, thanks for that info.  I just looked it up and you are correct, the V463 supports Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Pro Logic II...but not Dolby Digital Plus.  So it looks like I need a new AVR that supports DD+.  Guess I should treat myself to that and new speakers.  Smiley Happy

Future-proof yourself and get something that takes 4k HDR formats as well via HDMI ports. That way if you want to take advantage of the 4K on that Roku, you can.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos