Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

New Roku Ultra problems with ATT&T

New Roku Ultra 4800R works good with all channels except AT&T. Problem happens primarily with shows recorded.  During playback when fast forwarding the screen goes black & after 20-30 seconds a message comes up stating video is taking too long to load. It freezes at this point&&only temp fix is going to home screen go to settings and doing a restart. Have removed power from device several times for 5 minutes nothing works. Help!?!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Level 21

Re: New Roku Ultra problems with AT&T

The first step with a channel problem is to remove the channel, reboot the Roku, then add the channel back. Do NOT skip the reboot, or the channel was never really removed and whatever problem it has will remain.

If the problem continues, you need to contact AT&T for support. Roku does not create the channels used on their devices, other than The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. They can't provide support for something they did not create. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

We've done the uninstall reboot reinstall. I finally took the new Roku Ultra out of the equation completely by removing it from our TV. I  reinstalled last years Roku Streaming Stick +. Imagine that! The problem is gone. To my inconsequential mind this proves the problem lay with the Ultra. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@rstatton wrote:

We've done the uninstall reboot reinstall. I finally took the new Roku Ultra out of the equation completely by removing it from our TV. I  reinstalled last years Roku Streaming Stick +. Imagine that! The problem is gone. To my inconsequential mind this proves the problem lay with the Ultra. 

Yes, the problem is with the Ultra 4800. But it's possible the problem is AT&T didn't write their channel correctly to work with the 4800. This new Roku has some hardware differences, and that might require a change in the channel coding. That's merely conjecture on my part, but it's one possibility. And yes, it might also be an issue with the 4800 itself. Electronic devices can have failures right out of the box. I had a Roku TV that would not complete setup about 4 years ago. I swapped it with a new one and it's been working fine since. 

I have a 4800 but I can't test the channel since I don't have AT&T Internet service. Sorry I can't help further. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 7

Thanks Dan for your input (x2). Guess it’s time to contact AT&T about same issue. Fun fun!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: New Roku Ultra problems with ATT&T

RS,  You are not alone.  ATT TV Cloud playback on Roku Ultra 4800R degrades after a few manipulations (FF, RW, +-15 sec), fails to regain sync and locks up.  Roku System Restart restores ATT TV Cloud functionality, but sync failure/lock up soon reoccurs as before.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Level 7

So, is there a solution or do we just sit back regretting we bought the latest and greatest, and watch the race, that of AT&T helping fix problem or watching grass grow?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Exact same issue with my Roku Ultra 4800.  I have a ticket in with Roku Support and AT&T TV Now Support.  AT&T TV told me 5-7 days before an update.  Roku Support couldn't commit to a timeframe.

Running AT&T TV Now version 3.2.2 build 2540101.  The Roku Ultra has the latest firmware as confirmed by the support representative.

Ryan Blake
Information Technology Management Professional
0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm having this same problem! I am now swapping to my 3rd Roku Ultra device, but it sounds like this won't make a difference either. I thought there may be an issue with packet loss, but I have fiber internet with around 400mbps through my wifi router. I have had a few problems with other apps, but it's primarily AT&T and it usually involves recorded shows. WHY DOESN'T ROKU HAVE OVER THE PHONE TECH SUPPORT?! Does anyone have a contact phone number or email address for AT&T Tech Support for their streaming app?

0 Kudos
Level 8

You have to go on the support site and use the chat feature for AT&T.

Ryan Blake
Information Technology Management Professional