Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merlinmurph
Channel Surfer

New Roku Ultra + Synology: No compatible media found

I have a brand new Roku Ultra replacing an old WD media player and am having issues reading media from my Synology NAS using the Roku Media Player channel.
Here is what I have:
Roku Ultra 
Model: 4660X2
Ser# YJ009K670751
software 9.1.0 build 4919-46
Connected to network via ethernet cable
Cable goes from router to 4-port switch
Roku connected to switch with other devices - TV, Squeezebox

Synology DS211j
DSM 6.2.2-24922 update 3
Media server 1.7.8-2844

Television
Panasonic TC-P50G20

Receiver
Yamaha RX-V667

Using Verizon Fios with Actiontec MI424WR router - again hardwired ethernet

Roku is connected via HDMI to receiver
Cable box also connected to receiver
Receiver connected to TV via HDMI

Other Roku channels I've tried work fine. Just got the Roku, haven't tried much.

Here's what I do:
-The Synology NAS is up
- I open the Roku Media Server channel
- Choose the box labeled "All"
- There are 3 servers available:
  - Synology
  - Logitech Media Server (also running on Synology for Squeezebox audio player)
  - my PC
- I choose "Synology"
- Three folders are displayed - Music, Photo, Video
- I choose Video
- I get 
     No compatible media found in:
                  Video(0)

I get the same results if I choose the other folders

Interestingly, if I use the Logitech Media Server, I can see all my music on the Synology and play it.
Also, the old WD TV Live Plus was able to see and play videos on the Synology.

FWIW, my knowledge level is fairly basic with this stuff. I may struggle a little at first, but usually work my way thru things and get it to work. I may not know all the details, but I figure it out and get there.

I found an older thread (~ year old) here that was similar:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=114709

It's possible that this is a Synology issue (permissions??). I'm hoping another Synology user using the Synology Media Player can chime in.

Thanks,
Dan

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
merlinmurph
Channel Surfer

Re: New Roku Ultra + Synology: No compatible media found

No Synology users out there?
No similar issues?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

RMP will only show media that it believes are compatible. So if the media itself is not compatible with a Roku, then your DLNA server must transcode the media into a compatible format. It sounds like the Synology media server isn't doing it. Not all NAS devices are powerful enough to offer transcoding. I don't have any experience using a NAS, but I have no issues streaming to any of my Roku devices using Serviio. While I know Serviio has builds for Synology, I don't know if it supports your model. You might also look at Emby or Plex for your NAS. This Roku support page lists what codecs and containers are supported by Roku. But they do leave off support for the TS container (.ts, .m2ts). Those work as well. Your Ultra also supports H.262/MPEG-2 video. The Logitech Media Server is probably transcoding your media, which is why it appears. Transcoding music doesn't require much processor power, so even low powered NAS devices should be able to handle that. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
merlinmurph
Channel Surfer

Thanks.

Besides having a number of subfolders, the Video folder I am choosing has a number of .mkv files on it which are supported but not seeing. It also has a number of .avi files which apparently are not supported according to a list I saw.

The RMP doesn't have a signon to the NAS which I *thought* I should get, but not sure.

I'm looking at the NAS to see if there's any setting there preventing the RMP to see the files. 

Thanks again. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The MKV container is supported, but MKV can hold virtually any codec, and that is just as important as the container itself. Correct that the AVI container isn't supported. 
DLNA doesn't have user accounts or logins. That is more generally seen with direct folder access, such as a shared network folder. I have no experience with the media server software (DLNA server) that your NAS uses, so I can't suggest what to look at. Some servers block access without specific permission, while others default to everyone and you have to block access if desired per device. 
My guess is you have one of two possibilities. First is a possible permissions issue with your media server software. The other is that your media has unsupported codecs in the container. Usually if the video is supported but the audio isn't, you can still see the media and play it, just with no sound. But if the video is unsupported, then you won't see any media to select. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dscd2
Visitor

Just recently purchased a Synology NAS DS218+ and was able to successfully connect it to the Roku with Roku Media Player. I have 3 different types of Roku, and it worked for all of them with MKV files (H264) and MP4 files.  It even pulls in the additional .SRT subtitle files perfectly.

In Synology, I setup Video Station.  To get that to work, however, you also need to activate a setting in Media Server: Browsing Settings --> Check the box "Integrate Video Station database into Media Server".  In Media Server, there's also another setting to pay attention to:  DMA Compatability --> Don't not check "Enable Video Transcoding".  When I checked this, the media was deemed incompatible and the media did not show up. 

Here's something else I noticed.  In Video Station, there are permissions (public & private) that can be set up for custom directories, in case you create them.  So far for me, only the ones set up as "Public" show up on the Roku.  For all of the standard directories that are delivered, they don't have a setting for Private, and so they should already work.  I created new custom directories as Private because that was the only way I could setup permissions to limit directories in the DS Video application to be viewed externally; however, it conflicts with the Roku settings and I am still working on a solution.
0 Kudos
tigerman88
Visitor

I've been running a Synology NAS for years and have no issues streaming MKV files to all of my Roku Ultra boxes.  Couple of questions:

- On your Synology NAS - is your "video" folder containing your media files in the root directory?  If not try making a folder named "video" in your root directory and move some MKV files into it and see if your Roku Media Player app recognizes the files.

- Make sure you have the Synology "Media Server" app installed and running on your NAS.  This is Synology's DLNA/UPnP server and is how I stream to my Roku and other devices.  You can get "Media Server" by logging into the NAS; at the home screen select "Packages" then select "All Packages" where "Media Server" should be listed as an install option.
0 Kudos
merlinmurph
Channel Surfer

Hmmm, I've never used Video station. I use Synology Media server to connect the Roku and this worked for my WD player.

What's funny is that when I click on "DMA Compatibility", the page comes up grayed out while it is till loading, and I can see the option for "Enable Video Transcoding" which is not checked. When the page finishes loading, that section is now gone. It appears, then disappears. Spooky.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
merlinmurph
Channel Surfer

@tigerman88:  Yes, the video folder is off the root directory. 

And yes, I have Media server installed. It worked in the past with my WD media server.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Meinak

I had this same problem and after installing the media server and video server to the Synology, I found that it auto added 3 empty share folders: music, video, pictures. 

My preloaded video files weren’t in those files, so I could move them or figure out how to make the roku see the folders. 

I went into control panel and found the indexing (can’t recall off the top of my head which one) and added MY video folders to be indexed with videos. Then it was able to find them on roku media player through the video folder on roku.