Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyp1971
Level 9

New Roku Ultra 4800X HDCP Error and Screen Flickering

Hi Danny, I’m having mostly random HDCP 2.2 errors (literally random on any app or TV and on home screen even if not passing through Dolby Vision), and audio goes wildly out of sync with video over time on apps. The longer the app runs, the longer the audio sync goes out. Especially AT&T app on any TV. But only with the 4800X. This doesn’t happen on my 5 other Roku’s and the prior Roku Ultra. 

- TV - Sony 85” X900F Android 8.0, Kernel 3.10.79 latest Sony Update ending in 665751
-Roku device model - 4800X

-serial number - X01000E4TVP1
-device ID - S02A2084TVP1
-software OS/version - 9.3.1 Build 4240-C2

AT&T app version 3.21 build 2440102

and 

- TV - LG 65” OLED65EP software version 05.30.95

-serial number - X01000YXL037
-device ID - S02A208XL037

As well, when coming out of standby with the LG I get random screen flickering and have to unplug the HDMI and the display settings reset. Setting them back to 4K UHD works to resolve until the next time I turn on the TV, unless I get random HDCP 2.2 errors. The LG unit is capable of 4K Dolby Vision at 30hz, and the 4800x doesn’t support that, so I opt down to 4K UHD at 60hz. 

Both 4800X’s are set to the following in Advanced Display Settings:

auto adjust display refresh rate - ON

HDR subsampling - 4.2.2

HDR always on - Off 

for Audio they are both set to:

HDMI - auto passthrough 

to note: changing to 4.2.0 on display or auto detect on audio does not resolve the above issues. 

And also a Tracker ID for the flickering screen on startup (and randomly) with LG TV (requiring a disconnect of HDMI) is 37-430-601. 

I can get a new tracker ID for the out of sync audio (audio delayed by e.g. 15 seconds after watching a tv channel for 30 mins or so) on ATT App if it’s helpful, but hitting home 5 times takes me out of the app before I can then hit back 5 times. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Ultra 4800X HDCP Error and Screen Flickering

@jeremyp1971 

Thanks for the information.

If you are experiencing a HDCP error, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here: 
What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?
Why is HDCP 2.2 important to playing 4K Ultra HD or HDR content?

In regards to the screen flickering that you are experiencing, have you tried replacing the HDMI cable used to connect the Roku device as well as making sure your are connections are firm?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
switch2stream2
Level 7

@jeremyp1971 wrote:

Hi Danny, I’m having mostly random HDCP 2.2 errors (literally random on any app or TV and on home screen even if not passing through Dolby Vision), and audio goes wildly out of sync with video over time on apps. The longer the app runs, the longer the audio sync goes out. Especially AT&T app on any TV. But only with the 4800X. This doesn’t happen on my 5 other Roku’s and the prior Roku Ultra. 

- TV - Sony 85” X900F Android 8.0, Kernel 3.10.79 latest Sony Update ending in 665751

-serial number - X01000E4TVP1
-device ID - S02A2084TVP1

and 

- TV - LG 65” OLED65EP software version 05.30.95

-serial number - X01000YXL037
-device ID - S02A208XL037

As well, when coming out of standby with the LG I get random screen flickering and have to unplug the HDMI and the display settings reset. Setting them back to 4K UHD works to resolve until the next time I turn on the TV, unless I get random HDCP 2.2 errors. The LG unit is capable of 4K Dolby Vision at 30hz, and the 4800x doesn’t support that, so I opt down to 4K UHD at 60hz. 

Both 4800X’s are set to the following in Advanced Display Settings:

auto adjust display refresh rate - ON

HDR subsampling - 4.2.2

HDR always on - Off 

for Audio they are both set to:

HDMI - auto passthrough 

to note: changing to 4.2.0 on display or auto detect on audio does not resolve the above issues. 

And also a Tracker ID for the flickering screen on startup (and randomly) with LG TV (requiring a disconnect of HDMI) is 37-430-601. 

I can get a new tracker ID for the out of sync audio (audio delayed by e.g. 15 seconds after watching a tv channel for 30 mins or so) on ATT App if it’s helpful, but hitting home 5 times takes me out of the app before I can then hit back 5 times. 

Same A/V sync issue with all 3 of my new 4800X.  Only with the ATT TV app and only with certain channels in the app.  Netflix and Prime Video seem ok.  I did not have this issue with my two previous gen 4670X I just replaced. One TV is 1080P the other 2 are 4K HDR.  6' HDMI 2.0b cables. 

0 Kudos
jeremyp1971
Level 9

Hi Danny,

The screen flickering/HDCP 2.2 error was solved for the most part on my LG OLED by upgrading my new 8K certified cable to even more expensive new 8K certified cables. 

On ALL my TV's I have the issue of AT&T app being out of sync on audio. It seems to vary too, some channels within the app are fine, some the audio is faster than the video (e.g the video lags the audio and it increases over time to become unwatchable) and some channels it's slower than the video (e.g. the video is ahead of the audio and that increases over time). This issue does not exist on my older Roku Ultra's, only the new 4800X. Live sports are the worst! No cables or settings fix this either. I have a tracked ID from last night: P1-433-448 (again not sure this is useful since it kicks me out of the app to get the tracker ID). This was happening on both my TV's last night.

Also, any feedback on the 4800X supporting Dolby Vision 4K at 30hz would be great. The picture is still good at 4K HRD10 at 60kz, but I can tell you on behalf of many OLED owners we'd really like the option of having 4K Dolby Vision at 30fps (and not 1080p).

0 Kudos
switch2stream2
Level 7

The lagging issue seems to be resolved in the new firmware released today: 9.4.1 b4182-C2.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
jeremyp1971
Level 9

Seems better to me last night as well - both my 4800X Ultra's upgraded to the 9.4.1 as well.

The true test will be live sports this weekend :-) 

0 Kudos