Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New Roku Ultra 4800R Dolby Vision issues so far

From what I was able to gather, our LG 55UH8500 can only handle (at this time) 4K Dolby Vision at 30fps while the Roku only outputs 60fps.  Therefore the Roku will only allow 1080p Dolby Vision in our setup.  If we allow Auto Detect it limits all content to 1080p instead of just downgrading the Dolby Vision content to 1080p.  It would be nice to have it allow 4K DV @ 30fps so older TVs can take advantage of Dolby Vision content and/or allow the Auto Detect to set the output at 4K, etc and only downgrade the Dolby Vision to 1080p.  Until then, Dolby Vision will be useless for many customers who have just slightly older TVs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mackguyver @Postman 

Thanks for your patience regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please do the following:

1. Go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Display settings > Auto-adjust display refresh rate and see what it is set to. If set to Enabled, can you set it to Disabled and try the content again and see if you get the black flashes?
  2. Go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Display settings > HDR Always on and see what it is set to.
  3. Provide us with a tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Danny, thanks for replying. On my Roku I have "HDR always on" set to off.so that the Roku won't convert non Dolby Vision content. I tried the tracker procedure and only get sent back to Home, hopefully the info was sent. On my LG tv I can display the type of video details such as resolution, HDR type and type of audio codec being received. On the Netflix and the Vudu App's for Dolby Vision content It see's BT.2020 HDR10 and Dolby Vision together; that maybe causing a conflict. On other devices such as my Blu Ray player that has the same app's and same HDR capabilities the signal displays as Dolby Vision or BT.2020 for HDR10 but not together. I have another HDR capable tv but it's HDR10 only. The Roku Ultra works flawlessly with no HDCP momentary errors so I'm thinking this is a Dolby Vision internal coding issue in the Roku Ultra. Is there a way to turn off Dolby Vision in the Roku Ultra for the time being until this is resolved?

Highlighted
Level 9

Hi @RokuDanny-R,

I have auto-adjust frame rate turned off as it didn't work well with Vudu. 

HDR always on is set to off and I also have HDR subsampling set to 4:2:0 as it also caused problems despite my TV supporting it.

I was able to get some tracker IDs for you. 

Amazon Prime: 2Y-433-067

Vudu:  2Y-433-073

I don't know if they will be helpful, though, as I enjoy think it went home before the keypad combo generated a tracker ID. 

Thanks,

Ian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mackguyver @Postman 

Thanks for the additional information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team who are looking into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@Postman @mackguyver @RokuDanny-R

I solved the Ultra 4800X HDCP error issues (and other issues) for the most part by buying specifically using 100% Zeskit 8K cables from Amazon to connect the devices (on both my 65" LG E6 OLED and my 85" Sony X900F running through a HT-Z9F soundbar with all Zeskit in chain).  Other HDMI 2.0b 4K and 2.1 8K cables failed.

I am running Dolby Vision 4K 60hz at 4.2.2 on the X900F without issues (maybe one error in past week) and running 4K HDR10 at 60hz on the LG at 4.2.2 and no errors since I went to Zeskit on that too. 

HDR always on = OFF

Auto-adjust display refresh rate = Enabled (working fine on all apps)

Dolby Atmos is coming through fine on the Sony setup.

Hope this helps. The cables made a real difference. Now only issues are app related (AT&T TV audio sync) and lack of DV 30hz support :-) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R

Thank you again for your help. I was able to upgrade to 9.4.1 4182-c2 today and still have the issue, but now the tracking ID is coming up.

Steps to reproduce, on Amazon Prime, play Jack Ryan Season 1, episode 1. DV logo pops up. After 30s, click back button. Screen goes black, DV logo pops up again. Then TV says no signal. ID 2Y-436-097.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

All, I just manually checked for updates and a new OS downloaded. It appears to resolve the Dolby Vision problems!  I'll test it more later, but so far so good.

EDIT: I tested it today and it has not fixed them.  Plus, the version still says it's 9.4.1 4182-c2, which is really strange as I did install an update last night but didn't take note of the version.  I don't know how it could be the same???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ultra 4800 New Dolby Vision Issue

I'm seeing a major problem. What I'm going to describe was happening only periodically but, over these past few days has become now pretty much a constant on Netflix, Disney +, VUDU, etc. . My Ultra 4800 is connected to a Denon X4500 AVR into an LG C7 OLED TV. When I exit out of a Dolby Vision program, my LG TV flashes the Dolby Vision tag in the upper right corner and the screen goes black and only a power cycle will bring it back. I have HDR always on set to off and have tried every combination of refresh and sub-sampling with no luck. I've also switched HDMI cables (Monoprice Certified High Speed cable) and inputs on my Denon X4500 AVR. All of the X4500's inputs are set to 4K Enhanced. The Ultra's Software is at 9.4.1 and build is 4200. I refuse to keep HDR always on since non-HDR/DV screens are too bright. The problem appears to something happening between the Ultra and the X4500 AVR. When I plug the Ultra directly into the TV there doesn't seem to be a problem. Since I don't use ARC that means that via the TV's optical output I can't get Atmos although the AVR will output DTS Neural:X which isn't exactly shabby. The problem may also be related to the 9.4.1 software update. I can't remember when that update was done but it may have accelerated the problem. Does anyone have any ideas about this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Ultra 4800 New Dolby Vision Issue

@marcus72 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos