Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

New Roku Ultra 4800R Dolby Vision issues so far

I have two of the new 2020 Roku Ultra 4800R's and have been vigilantly testing them both on two televisions. First television is a 2018 Sony Bravia X900F 85" TV and other other is a 2016 LG E6 65" TV. There are two distinct issues so far with Dolby VIsion:

1) On my X900F, in the full DV 60hz mode, there are small sparkles all over my screen. Noise, I guess you would say? I've tried both my new Ultra's and both experience the same issue - noise. I took a video and could post it here if possible. When switching to normal 4K (not 60hz DV), the sparkles/noise go away every time. So it's only evident on the DV/4K 60hz settings. I've tried with many connections/cords, with and without a soundbar, etc. and get the same result each time with both new Ultra's. I am really hoping this is fixable with a firmware issue with Roku OS 9.4 and not a hardware flaw, considering I bought two of these. 

2) On my LG E6 OLED, Dolby Vision downgrades to 1080p only and 4K at 30hz is not supported (for Dolby Vision). This model only supports 4K Dolby Vision at 30hz, as do most models prior to 2018. The only option is to set it to 4K/60hz WITHOUT DV to get a decent picture. The 1080p in Dolby Vision looks way worse than the 4k/HDR10 setting. This essentially provides zero upgrade to my prior 2018 Roku Ultra for my OLED. Really hoping this is fixed on Roku OS 9.4, as otherwise this is a useless upgrade to any LG OLED owners prior to 2018 (and many other TV's that only support DV in 30hz). 

That's it so far. Otherwise they are working pretty good with the 9.3 C2 update that was downloaded on install. 

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: New Roku Ultra 4800R Dolby Vision issues so far

On my LG OLED, there seem to be a few issues.  Frame rate matching doesn't work with DV content, and 4:2:2 also appears to have some conflicts as well, so I have both turned off, down to 4:2:0, respectively. 

I also turned off the keep HDR on setting or whatever so it doesn't stay in DV.

Also, MoviesAnywhere shows titles with the DV logo, but they only play in HDR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have same issue with oled c6 2016 model. Defeats the purpose of getting a roku vs the internal TV apps.
My 4k player has no problems pumping Dolby Vision to the TV so it's either bug or limitation of the new 2020 roku ultra.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Dolby Access Channel for Roku Ultra 2020 model

It would be nice if Roku could allow the Dolby Access channel to appear on the Ultra 2020 now that it supports Dolby Vision.  In the past, only Dolby Vision TVs were allowed to show it for good reason, but it would be nice to have for demos and troubleshooting.

#4800R (which doesn't exist yet)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Seeing the same limitation with the competitors "stick" device. It's 4k/60hz with HDR or 1080p with dolby vision. Hope they address this issue as I have no plans to upgrade my 2016 OLED since I use it for 3D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

One bit of good news. The Apple channel supports DV, good for iTunes or MA movies, or Apple TV, of course. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

It appears that Roku Ultra also outputs in the BT2020 color space, which is incorrect for Dolby Vision content. 

Neither Fire tv or Apple TV do this. Shield TV used to, but it was fixed in a recent update. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with my LG that it will only do 1080p on Dolby Vision. I hope that gets fixed. 

Any suggestions on steaming movies/shows that will let me see if Atmos is working correctly? My receiver does Atmos but all I see on the display is Dolby digital.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had the same issue on my 2020 Sony A8H Oled 4K TV.

Until I found out I needed to select what type of signal I wanted on my HDMI input,Standard or Enhanced.

It was set on Standard,once I changed it to Enhanced my Dolby Vision problem was gone.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Where did you make the change to enhanced? I can’t find where that would be.

0 Kudos