Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robardin
Level 8

New Roku Ultra 2020 won't send HDR / DolbyVision signal to display?

Until this evening, I had been running my living room 5.1 HT with:

• A Marantz NR1509 A/V receiver
  • A Roku Streaming Stick+ (which supports 4K/HDR but not DolbyVision)
  • LG OLED 4K/HDR display (55B9)
  • high speed HDMI cables throughout

I had been getting HDR10 from my Streaming Stick+ from Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Video, and YouTube, causing the display to detect HDR and switch video modes.

(I did at some point have to force the unit to send 30 Hz instead of 60 Hz 4K/HDR, don't remember why, but other than that things worked great.)

So this afternoon I swapped in the brand new Ultra 2020. I got it for two reasons: the DolbyVision support, which I wanted to compare to HDR10, and the Ethernet port. My wifi strength was only about 25-30 Mbps, which occasionally caused buffering when it dropped a bit, and with Ethernet it's up to 95 Mbps.

However, I find that even though the Ultra 2020 detects my display as 4K/DolbyVision at 60 Hz (with no option to force 30 Hz any more, or I would try that), it never triggers my display to switch modes. And, if I manually switch modes to the HDR, it doesn't look right.

I have tried toggling the "Always DolbyVision" advanced setting to OFF, and then back to ON, nothing going.

I'm going to try swapping back in the Streaming Stick+ tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that will work the same as it did just a few hours ago. Any idea what might be going on and what I should try to do?

16 Replies
robardin
Level 8

Re: New Roku Ultra 2020 won't send HDR / DolbyVision signal to display?

UPDATE: so I confirmed with a separate HDMI cable that if I run this directly to my TV and not through the AVR, it mostly works. (I get a random HDCP error that goes away quickly, which may or may not be cable related.)

I now believe that this was why I had to set my Streaming Stick+ to output 4K/HDR at 30 Hz instead of 60, something about the AVR couldn't handle it at 60 Hz. And then used a hidden menu to lock it at that (disabling auto resolution).

I don't see this setting on the Ultra 2020 any more - I cannot force the resolution to 4K/HDR @ 30, only select "4K/HDR" (if not "auto scan") with no way to specify the frame rate?

0 Kudos
Prime3945
Level 7

Mine also stays at dolby vision no matter what resolutions some apps are showing. 

0 Kudos
robardin
Level 8

That's because you have the "HDR Always On" thing enabled (which for some reason is the default setting on the Ultra 2020). Disable that and only content actually in HDR (whether HDR10 or DolbyVision) will be sent as such.

That's what I went with, I don't trust the Roku's "upscaling" or remapping of color space on the fly, I'd rather watch content as close to raw as possible (as originally encoded).

Similarly be sure to enable "auto passthrough" for the HDMI audio signal, I found that the default "auto" is actually converting all "lower" audio formats to some digital format (DD? DD+?) and couldn't play back the audio in some of my home recorded MP4s or AVIs until I set it to "passthrough" (I guess it couldn't process it, and "auto" didn't revert to passthrough behavior but just dropped it).

As for my original problem, I discovered that my AVR had a special HDMI video setting for 4K/HDR in 4:2:2 color mode that needed to be changed from "Standard" to "Enhanced". Once I did that, I got DV to come through the receiver. Funny that the Roku still "detected" the signal as supporting DV when basically it did not.

Still, can't put that on the Roku when it is designed from the factory to run directly to the TV and not through an AVR the way I'm using it.

It's interesting that even in "Standard" mode I had been able to watch HDR10 material in 30 Hz with the Streaming Stick+. I'd still like to set this Ultra 2020 to run at 30 Hz instead of 60 Hz, I get buffering problems with streaming Vudu in DV (but not Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, or Plex in HDR) that I suspect dropping to 30 Hz would resolve. But that menu option seems to have disappeared from the display resolution list.

atc98092
Level 21

Many AVRs (not just Denon) have a setting that must be changed for HDR to passthough correctly. In Yamaha AVRs, they call it Mode 1 and Mode 2. More recent models have finally changed the default setting so it works out of the box. I don't know why it's not enabled on all AVRs from the factory, as it causes this sort of problem constantly, and not just with Roku players. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
sawgrasstv
Level 7

I had the same problem and realized that it was because the HDMI input on my amp was not HDMI2 but the older HDMI1. Wasn't willing to get a new amp so I'll live with it!

0 Kudos
robardin
Level 8

I'd also like to add that I discovered the "buffering problem" that I presumed I was having with viewing Vudu movies in 4K/DolbyVision was actually due to some kind of frame rate bug specific to Vudu on Roku and LG displays (my TV is an LG OLED55B9).

Vudu movies send at the original 24 FPS, but something along the way makes it 23.995 or something slightly off and results in dropped frames (a flicker of a blank screen) every so often if the Roku is set to match the original frame rate (as you would think is most proper).

Disabling this (which I think is the default setting?) involves going through the System menu on the Roku setup:

System -> Adv Settings -> Adv Display Settings -> Auto-adjust display refresh rate

Enabled = switch to native format when playback begins
Disabled = Roku outputs (upscales) all content to 60 FPS

Flipping to "Disabled" gets my Vudu playback to be stable; now to see if it causes me any other problems, as I assume this means the Roku is now doing frame rate "upscaling" (repeating, I guess, by 60/24 or a factor of 2.5x).

I don't see why that would cause a problem if the TV is also set to 60 Hz, but introducing extra processing in a multi-step technology flow (remote data source -> streaming device -> AVR -> display) often results in unexpected glitches. So, fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
RkkMe
Level 9

Have just been testing Roku 2020 after getting it in past couple days. Have last two years' Ultras (2018/2019) as well and have had no issues with those with HDR until this 2020 device. Seems it's a tossup of a variety of things, but specifically for this year, that hasn't been worked out yet, whether software or hardware. It mostly works, but still have annoyances that the prior devices did not have (like the random HDCP error messages that pop up for a few secs and go away).

0 Kudos
pbarbier
Level 7

Mine also stays on Dolby vision HDR regardless of the program material.  If you have a f ox, please share it.

0 Kudos
pbarbier
Level 7

problem solved,  for some odd reason the ultra 2020 has an "hdr always on" function buried in the advanced settings.  just switched it off, works fine now

0 Kudos