Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laeldaire
Level 7

New 3800x goes to bouncing logo directly after firmware update

I connected the 3800x HD Streaming Stick to my sony TV side HDMI port, and used the provided power adapter and USB cable to power it.
The remote pairs (using the provided AAA batteries), and I select the language (English), and then select my home wifi and set the password.  It quickly makes it through the network test, and indicates it will download the latest firmware.  The download takes less than a minutes, and after it completes, it restarts.  At this point, the ROKU bouncing logo shows up, and never leaves.  The stick gets very hot, and the HDMI connector end is even hotter on taking it out.  I have used many different HDMI sources with these ports and never had a heat issue, so I am confident the ROKU is the heat source.  I doubt an extender cable would help that.  I did the long reset hold on the stick, which makes me re-pair the remote, and reselect the wifi and re-set the password.  The download starts over, and then reboots to bouncing ROKU again.  If I do the remote reset sequence (home x5, up arrow, rewind x2, fast forward x2) it resets the ROKU at whatever place it was at, and forces me to re-enter everything, and re-download the firmware.  This is 3 hours of my life I will never get back.

I got this stick brand new from Amazon Prime Deal days, but it is not living up to its promise.  Ideas, or do I have to do the return?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: New 3800x goes to bouncing logo directly after firmware update

The Stick models do get quite warm, and they are designed for it. So don't worry about the temp. The boot issue is more bothersome. It's possible that moving the Stick away from the TV with an extender might make a difference. My Stick is the older 3600, and never have an issue with it. But that's a completely different model, so no direct comparison. 
It's certainly possible you received a bad product. Unfortunately, sometimes a defective product makes it through. The first Insignia Roku TV I bought had a similar issue as you are experiencing, but the replacement has been rock solid.  
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@laeldaire

Sorry to hear about the issue getting set up. You can request an exchange through the retailer you purchased the device from, if you're still within the exchange period. Or, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku device (on the back of the unit), and your current shipping information. I can have our support team reach out directly to help with a warranty replacement. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
laeldaire
Level 7

Thanks for the replies.  I will pursue the return to Amazon.  I will update this post with the serial number / lot number.

I would be surprised if this individual stick made it back to ROKU for investigation, but perhaps the serial/lot will help determine if there was a production problem. I tend to think this is a code issue, perhaps between whatever level shipped on the stick and what it was trying to install, but I can't determine that information.

@RokuTannerD is there ANY other diagnostic I could perform before I return it?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

The only suggestion I can offer would be to perform a factory reset on the device by holding down the 'Reset' button for at least 10 seconds while connected to power, then attempting to go through setup once more. 

If that isn't working, I'd recommend an exchange/replacement to help get you up and running. Let us know if you need any additional help! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
laeldaire
Level 7

Return processed.  Thanks for the quick feedback.

Device details that was having issues:
Device ID CT393E423048
SKU# 3800R  (on the box, even though the stick itself indicated 3800X)
Lot# 2189036748

New product already ordered.
0 Kudos