Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fit4Life

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

Success story!  03-06-2021:  We have been struggling with the same issue along with video problems as well.  My husband went to advance settings and chose Factor Reset then went and installed the ROKU device as if we just purchased it.   You will then have reinstall everything running through ROKU including Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.

Just tested it a minute ago and so far, the problem is solved.  He had tried other means to resolve the issue but they were only a temporary fix.

Drifterx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I used to get the audio delay as well. Now it cuts out sound completely every few minutes for a few seconds at a time. My roku 3 didn't do that but the new roku ultra 2020 does. I will also get visual glitches on the screen every once in awhile.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Drifterx,

Thanks for the post.

We suggest during playback of any content, press the * key on your remote. A menu will open on the lefthand side of the screen. Do you have any 'Volume mode' enabled here? If so, try turning this off. Does this resolve the issue? 
Please keep us posted,

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Drifterx wrote:

I used to get the audio delay as well. Now it cuts out sound completely every few minutes for a few seconds at a time. My roku 3 didn't do that but the new roku ultra 2020 does. I will also get visual glitches on the screen every once in awhile.

Make sure you change Settings/Audio/HDMI to  "Auto passthrough" - it defaults to "Auto detect" (which should be named "Auto convert", since it converts all audio output to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device).

Though occasional visual glitches is a known/previously reported issue with the 4800, make sure you report it to Roku (more reports=sooner/more likely fixed/addressed): 

chat or email  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
jcm2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku 2020 sounds much louder and more dynamic in  auto detect mode than pass through.  I have a 5.1.4 set up through onkyo reciever.  Problem is during heavy bass scenes sometimes the audio cuts out and comes back on.  when your running a system like this at moderate levels my audio equipment should handle it i have no issues with tv or 4k player or even the roku in pass through mode.  I like to run auto detect while streaming because it sounds louder more dynamic but I often have  to revert back to pass through because of dropouts.

Jimmel1318
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same with my soundbar. Just bought this unit yesterday and thinking about returning it from the comments I read about it. 100 bucks for this thing at wally world 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jcm2 wrote:

My Roku 2020 sounds much louder and more dynamic in  auto detect mode than pass through.  I have a 5.1.4 set up through onkyo reciever.  Problem is during heavy bass scenes sometimes the audio cuts out and comes back on.  when your running a system like this at moderate levels my audio equipment should handle it i have no issues with tv or 4k player or even the roku in pass through mode.  I like to run auto detect while streaming because it sounds louder more dynamic but I often have  to revert back to pass through because of dropouts.

"Auto detect" mode does on-the-fly converting/transcoding (except for DTS) to the highest detected Dolby level of your connected device - this is the reason/source for the dropouts (you really dont want this, despite it being "louder").

"Auto passthrough" mode passes audio through in its native/original format, aside from converting/transcoding DD+ to DD for legacy devices if detected/configured (this is what you want).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jimmel1318 wrote:

Same with my soundbar. Just bought this unit yesterday and thinking about returning it from the comments I read about it. 100 bucks for this thing at wally world 

Change Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough"

0 Kudos
Jimmel1318
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here. The audio is more brilliant at auto detect than pass through. 

0 Kudos
Timcredible
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I found a permanent solution, I bought a google tv Chromecast, all issues fixed.  It also shows avatars on hbo app, and does master tracks and atmos tracks on tidal

0 Kudos