Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vodil
Binge Watcher

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

@jrkbrg wrote:

ROKUDanny-R I had a 2019 Ultra that started to "Blackout" for a brief second, no picture but had sound. I wrote an email to ROKU support and received no reply. I purchased a 2020 Ultra thinking I get rid of the problem and gain ATMOS and Dolby Vision. It works worst than the one I replaced. I get HDCP error messages, yes I tried the "unplug everything fix" to no avail and the sound blanks out constantly. Whats up???

Make sure you are using good HDMI cables--on ALL legs even if things are off.  

Has the TV played Dolby Vision before?  I got that kind of behavior when my TV was not set up correctly.

Use audio "passthrough"  and shut off CEC ("1-click"?) of course.

0 Kudos
Spyder1400
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just an update on my issue.  Moved the Roku to directly connected to the TV and it has been fine for about 10 hours.  So at this point, it looks to be an issue going through the AVR device.

0 Kudos
linda68

Jump to solution

i have the same prob brand new box but i have my tv plugged in to my bose sound bar set up on the doby 5.1 sound . wile watching tv some of the shows i be watching the same show and some point the sound won't work all of a sudden the sound goes out then i have to go in to the audio settings and click on regular audio from what i have had it set to . i don't know what the difference is when your watching the same show you always do.  

0 Kudos
Bird1967

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with the newest Roku Ultra device. I hooked up a new Bose sound bar to my tv and there was no audio. I switched the audio settings to auto passthrough and the audio is working now. Am I missing out on anything versus “auto detect” ? I hope they come out with an update that fixes this problem.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bird1967 wrote:

I had the same issue with the newest Roku Ultra device. I hooked up a new Bose sound bar to my tv and there was no audio. I switched the audio settings to auto passthrough and the audio is working now. Am I missing out on anything versus “auto detect” ? I hope they come out with an update that fixes this problem.

No, you are not "missing out" (with "Auto detect"), unless you want all your audio converted/transcoded to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device (you really dont want this, and in your case results in no audio).

You want your audio passed through (with "Auto passthrough") for an external device to process if necessary (TV/AVR/soundbar/etc), except perhaps if your TV/AVR/soundbar/etc only supports DD instead of DD+ or the detection routine fails (in which case you'd manually configure it to a specific mode).

There is no "fix" generally needed - this ("Auto detect") is generally working as intended (converting all audio to the highest detected Dolby level). 

However, in your case there seems to be a detection issue with your TV or your TV's settings/configuration/connection to your soundbar.

If your soundbar supports HDMI/ARC as well as your TV, make sure you are connecting it that way instead of via Optical.

0 Kudos
thirumala72
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have mine set like yours (pass through) and get dolby atmos. But the issue is, non-dolby-atmos content (ex: 5.1) is upscaled to dolby atmos which I don't want to. I just need original/input audio signal to by played. 

My setup is roku ultra 2020 -> denon avr x4400h -> epson 3800

Basically the AUTO (which upscales all to atmos) and PASS THRU is not showing any difference.

Could you please check yours and let me know if this is the case or recommend any other settings you have.

SD493488
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

In the menu go to settings-system-advanced display settings and turn HDR always from on to off. That way you only get HDR on HDR programming. Stan

0 Kudos
SD493488
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I left out a step. Advanced System Settings comes after System.

0 Kudos
thirumala72
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried turning HDR always OFF and still no change. Does HDR has anything to do with the Audio settings?

0 Kudos
putteringalong
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My set up is similar to yours, my Denon AVR is AVR-X6500H. You can display current audio settings and change to different profiles with the Denon remote. I still don't totally understand how all of this works and sometimes it works better than others.

I was having extremely low sound and found that adjusting the Roku audio between pass through and auto detect provides relief, and great sound.

0 Kudos