Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveA52
Reel Rookie

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

After reading more of the notes in this discussion, I tried two things:

First, I changed the Audio settings on the Ultra 2020 to "PCM Stereo"  This had minimal if any effect.

Second, I changed the Audio settings to "Dolby Digital".  This **SEEMS** to have had a positive effect on the PLEX channel.  

The TV in use is only 2 channel stereo, no advanced audio.  PLEX can provided 5.1 audio.  My **GUESS** is that the 2020 when set to "automatic" or "PCM" is attempting to deliver most of the audio to a non-existant center speaker, thus the reason the volume is so low and inconsistent on the PLEX channel: we're only hearing the differential between the left and right, since anything in common would go to the center channel.  As the audio source moves across the screen, it moves more to the left/right channels which are active.

Again, this is just a guess based on my admittedly short test (I made the change around 12:30AM and didn't watch for a full evaluation - I'll check again tonight) and some of the comments in this discussion.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I just got a new 2020 ultra, and the volume is much lower than my old 2019. I have to set up in the 40’s to hear it, I used to go as low as 15 on the 2019. 
I’ve also experienced short bits of the picture freezing, which I never experienced on the 2019. 
So far, it doesn’t look like the 2020 is an improvement. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@pauljmerrick wrote:

I just got a new 2020 ultra, and the volume is much lower than my old 2019. I have to set up in the 40’s to hear it, I used to go as low as 15 on the 2019. 
I’ve also experienced short bits of the picture freezing, which I never experienced on the 2019. 
So far, it doesn’t look like the 2020 is an improvement. 

Make sure you change the audio to passthrough mode (it defaults to transcode):  Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough"

0 Kudos
bpotter16
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried this and it does not work. When set to passthrough, the audio skips every other second. Auto is the only setting that emits sound without skips. 

I continued to tinker and found a way for it to work. When setting the audio to passthrough, the sound would skip on the TV. I restarted the Roku and the sound continued to skip. The same goes for the youtube app. I then tried to turn off the LG CX and then back on and the sound on passthrough came through without skips. Yay!

For others out there that are having problems, try restarting all of the equipment in play after changing settings for any of the settings as some equipment seems to hold a previous setting (like the LG CX). 

0 Kudos
Spyder1400
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This did not work for me.  New Roku 4800x - Roku Ultra

ReportTracker Info:

Model: 4800x - Roku Ultra

Serial: X010008YUJD7 (S02A208YUJD7)

Software Version: 9.4.1 Build 4212-C2

Timestamp: 2020-12-06T19:41:47Z

Issue ID: D7-490-781

Streaming in Hulu or Disney+ when changing to next episode sound stops streaming.  Changing audio types very rarely has an effect.  Originally using Auto Detect, changed to Passthrough. 

HDMI going through Denon AVR-S540BT to LG 55UF6430 TV.  Having the AVR on or off does not change the symptoms.  Reboot of Roku solves the issue.  Obviously not really a solution.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Spyder1400 wrote:

ReportTracker Info:

Model: 4800x - Roku Ultra

Serial: X010008YUJD7 (S02A208YUJD7)

Software Version: 9.4.1 Build 4212-C2

Timestamp: 2020-12-06T19:41:47Z

Issue ID: D7-490-781

Streaming in Hulu or Disney+ when changing to next episode sound stops streaming.  Changing audio types very rarely has an effect.  Originally using Auto Detect, changed to Passthrough. 

HDMI going through Denon AVR-S540BT to LG 55UF6430 TV.  Having the AVR on or off does not change the symptoms.  Reboot of Roku solves the issue.  Obviously not really a solution.

Do you (or anyone else) experience the skipping (or other) audio issue with the 4800 directly connected to your TV with "auto-passthrough" enabled?

If not, thats important info and indicates an issue with AVRs, and such info should definitely be reported directly to Roku...

0 Kudos
Spyder1400
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am currently trying that now and will update when I can.  I realized as I was posting my last post that I had not tried that yet.  Nothing else going through the AVR has issues though.

0 Kudos
vodil
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@Spyder1400 wrote:

Do you (or anyone else) experience the skipping (or other) audio issue with the 4800 directly connected to your TV with "auto-passthrough" enabled?

If not, thats important info and indicates an issue with AVRs, and such info should definitely be reported directly to Roku...

So I did have all these problems including the fact that my TV & AVR OSD were blocked.  It all got fixed after the Dec 3 update (Build 4212)and the use of "passthrough".   Right now it all seems to be fine.

My 4800 feeds into an Anthem MRX1120 and then on to my LG.

0 Kudos
Spyder1400
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine works for longer with Passthrough set but the problem returns after awhile (if memory serves it lasted for the rest of the evening and then returned the following morning).  I think I changed it about 9pm that night.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
jrkbrg
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ROKUDanny-R I had a 2019 Ultra that started to "Blackout" for a brief second, no picture but had sound. I wrote an email to ROKU support and received no reply. I purchased a 2020 Ultra thinking I get rid of the problem and gain ATMOS and Dolby Vision. It works worst than the one I replaced. I get HDCP error messages, yes I tried the "unplug everything fix" to no avail and the sound blanks out constantly. Whats up???

0 Kudos