Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

@vodil wrote:

I have just replaced an old ROKU Ultra with a 4800x (9.4.1 OS) and I have a rather specific sound issue. The Ultra is plugged into my (Anthem 1120) AVR which drives an LG7 TV and Atmos sound

When the ROKU HDMI is plugged in,  sound from the TV (via ARC), which has nothing to do with the ROKU, does not play.  If I unplug the HDMI cable to the ROKU, the sound comes back. (Other HDMI inputs to the AVR do not seem affected.)

This happens whether the ROKU is on or off and needless to say did not happen with my 4640

Make sure you change the default audio settings from "auto detect" to "auto passthrough":

Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough" - see if that addresses the issue.

vodil
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@vodil wrote:

I have just replaced an old ROKU Ultra with a 4800x (9.4.1 OS) and I have a rather specific sound issue. The Ultra is plugged into my (Anthem 1120) AVR which drives an LG7 TV and Atmos sound

When the ROKU HDMI is plugged in,  sound from the TV (via ARC), which has nothing to do with the ROKU, does not play.  If I unplug the HDMI cable to the ROKU, the sound comes back. (Other HDMI inputs to the AVR do not seem affected.)

This happens whether the ROKU is on or off and needless to say did not happen with my 4640

Make sure you change the default audio settings from "auto detect" to "auto passthrough":

Settings/Audio/HDMI="Auto passthrough" - see if that addresses the issue.

That seems to have worked, thanks..  Why it would affect anything when the ROKU was not even on escapes me, but so noted.  I hope it does not impact my audio on other channels.

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Along the way one of the updates fixed the thumping type sound when switching between Dolby Audio and any other type (ie PCM).  Yet now it is a higher pitched tink pop type noise.  Sure hoping this gets fixed eventually.  Our Ultra 2020 sits there waiting on updates to try.   In the meantime, we reverted back to our trusty Roku 3.

0 Kudos
Rcsoxfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well just for the record. My new ultra sound issues have gotten worse. When I turned it on this morning the sound cut out almost constantly. I had to hook up my old one again. It does it whether or not pass through is on and when it’s in 4K UHD (Dolby vision) mode. And worse roku doesn’t seem to care. PLEASE SOMEONE FIX IT. 

0 Kudos
vodil
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And for the record the "passthrough" fix stopped working for me.

I cannot get TV-ARC to have any sound, but it worked until last week.  Other sources (ROKU, OPPO, Comcast) that go through AVR first are fine.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Try disabling CEC aka  "1 Touch Play"  (Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play=unchecked) and restarting and see if that makes any difference.

Also, make sure you report this directly to Roku:

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help)

and/or message @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
Rcsoxfan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here’s an idea ROKU FIX The problems we are reporting here 

dalecaudio

Jump to solution

Saw your question and laughed for the first time today.  It is so frustrating when there is no one from the Company there to address these problems.

0 Kudos
SteveA52
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the unrequested (and undesired) volume changes on the 2020 as well.  I upgraded from a 2019 when the old one was moved to another TV.  Also, the volume on the Plex channel is much lower than it was on the 2019 - for the 2019, the TV was set in the 20-23 range for volume, on the 2020 it has to be in the 40-50 range for the same (or actually slightly lower) volume.

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Here is another newly discovered totally annoying issue.  Even on Auto Passthrough, Dolby Digital 2.0 is being changed to Dolby Digital 5.1.

The effect is absolutely horrendous as it still sends the 2.0 signal as if it were 5.1 channels.  Meaning it sends just Left and Right front and all other Audio channels are silent.

Where DD 2.0 can be processed by an AVR and send all channel audio appropriately, this scenario is just Left and Right front.  No center channel for voice etc and no surround speaker sounds.  Any DD mono sources become 2 channel mono.

When sending PCM audio an AVR will still process it appropriately as it is true stereo being sent to the AVR and the AVR can do the the surround sound processing.

The issue is only with DD 2.0 or mono at this time.

How could this unit have so many issues?