Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SD493488
Binge Watcher

Re: New 2020 Roku Ultra has sound issues?

Jump to solution

When I first got and set up my unit I was having sound issues. After making some setting changes, updating the software, and rebooting, the unit is working flawlessly now.  Not sure which fixed the problem but all is well now.

0 Kudos
mannblack

Jump to solution

Regardless of app I stream from I get an intermittent sound drop (~30 seconds) while streaming roughly every ~10 minutes. Tried updating software and rebooting multiple times, no apparent impact.

Happens with:
* Hulu
* Netflix
* CW
* Disney +
* Vudu
* Movies Anywhere

0 Kudos
evercuriousgeek
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I got the 2020 Roku Ultra from Walmart, and it’s been nothing but problems. I’m working troubleshooting with Roku through their reddit right now and I think we’re just about to the point of replacing the unit. I have a Vizio 4K TV with Dolby Vision and a Yamaha AVR with Dolby Atmos. For me, Netflix and Vudu would play back a program for less than a minute, then the screen would blank, go pink and then either it would just get stuck that way or the Roku would reboot itself. I’ve tried doing the audio several different ways, and it seems no matter what I do, all I’m getting is two channel stereo, even when the AVR says it’s Atmos. Nothing out of any speakers other than L/R. Tried going direct to the TV to take the AVR out of the equation but I’m still getting the screen blanking and rebooting. My Apple TV 4K works flawlessly, and I’ve tried swapping HDMI inputs to make sure it wasn’t a defect in the AVR but that’s not it either. Roku supposedly pushed an update to my unit last night but that didn’t rectify the issue. Getting kind of frustrated. Hoping a firmware update or RMA replacement does something to rectify this, otherwise I may just return it and either go back to a 2019 Ultra or stick with my Apple TV (which I don’t want to do because I’ve been a Roku devotee since the first model way back when).

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are having issues with your Roku Ultra (2020), we would first recommend making sure that your Roku is updated to the latest OS. For more information about how to check manually for an update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-are you using an AVR? what AVR model? have you tried not using an AVR to see if you are still experiencing the issue?
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-summary of the issue you are experiencing

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bpotter16
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

-Roku device model: 4800x - Roku Ultra
-serial number: X01000932GFH
-device ID: S02A20832GFH
-software OS/version: 9.4.1 build 4200-C2

TV: LG OLED CX 77

-are you using an AVR? what AVR model?  I am using a Sonos Arc. I have also tried not using the Sonos Arc and only using internal TV speakers. Both result in the same issue. 

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel 

Channel: Youtube - Version 1.0 build 93000110

-tracker ID: FH-458-735

-summary of the issue you are experiencing. For both of these issues, I've tried to remove the sonos arc and only use the tv internal speakers and the problem is not solved.

Issue 1 - youtube audio skips every other second. It's the only channel that has this problem. 

Issue 2 - when choosing Audio - Passthrough, the audio skips every other second as well. Audio - Auto converts all audio to Dolby Atmos.

0 Kudos
CraigR1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had a lot of issues with my new Roku Ultra and most of them went away when I switched the audio to pass through. Although I’m not complaining about still not getting any audio on Peacock commercials it’s obviously not right and I do not think that the new Roku Ultra’s audio sounds as good as my Apple TV box. My previous Ultra had to be reset everyday to eliminate garbled audio on all channels and to reset the incorrect video display setting it defaulted to, but at least that’s not happening now. 
Why did Roku come out with a new box that so many of us are having issues with? I have the latest software update. 

I use a Yamaha AVR with 11.1 Atmos setup and I am not going to switch it to my TV speakers as it works perfectly with Apple TV and AT&T U-Verse  

‘I have been a loyal Roku user since they first came out, but this is getting ridiculous and going on for too long. 

TXuser
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, only now it can be almost a minute before I get sound !

0 Kudos
BH77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

New build 4200 fixed the auto detect issue! 

0 Kudos
srb027

Jump to solution

Mine will play for awhile and then cut out.  Yes, I can fix it by doing a system reset but WHY!!?? Now audio is out of sync with lips off and on.

Hopefully they have a fix coming soon.  This is annoying.

If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number x010009u2s2m 
-device ID   s02A208u2s2m
-software OS/version  9.4.1 build 4200-c2
-are you using an AVR? what AVR model? have you tried not using an AVR to see if you are still experiencing the issue?  NO

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel   Netflix Version 5.2 build 98096405

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
couldn't make this work

-summary of the issue you are experiencing - I can be watching and the audio only with cut off.  I found I can go do a system restart but it occurs too frequently - just did it 4 times in an hour program on Netflix

0 Kudos
vodil
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have just replaced an old ROKU Ultra with a 4800x (9.4.1 OS) and I have a rather specific sound issue. The Ultra is plugged into my (Anthem 1120) AVR which drives an LG7 TV and Atmos sound

When the ROKU HDMI is plugged in,  sound from the TV (via ARC), which has nothing to do with the ROKU, does not play.  If I unplug the HDMI cable to the ROKU, the sound comes back. (Other HDMI inputs to the AVR do not seem affected.)

This happens whether the ROKU is on or off and needless to say did not happen with my 4640

0 Kudos